GO!

Well we are back and Penny is very picky!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 9:51pm PST 
Hello All,

Well me and the pack are back! Hades and Athena are very well and get along great! Penny is still your typical puppy only now she has become very picky on what food she will eat. I do not give table scraps at all and I only give treats when they have eaten their kibble. All the dogs get Merrick Penny of course gets the puppy and the big dogs get different flavors of their grain free and the occasional can of food. I don't know what to try for her. My local pet store was kind enough to make sample bags of different puppy foods for me and she turned her nose up at Blue Buffalo, Back to Basics, Castor and Pollux and one other brand (all very good brands) The big dogs were eating the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck and she was eating that (actually she would sneak it) and then I switched them to Merrick because the Blue has gotten a bit expensive that is when she got picky about the kibble when I took the Blue Buffalo duck. She is 6 months old and I don't think she is old enough for adult dog food but I have no idea what to feed this stubborn pup. Any help or suggestions of food would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Ashley
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 4:24am PST 
I am no dog food expert but when I got Dexter I never fed him 'puppy' food. I did some research on it and from what I understood (and please anyone correct me if I'm totally off here) the difference between puppy and adult food is that puppy food has more fat and protein in it. So when I was picking Dexters food I picked an 'all life stages' food and choose the flavor with the highest fat and protein which had more than the puppy food we had been given with him. For reference we feed him Fromm Four Star.

Read this it may answer your question better than I did...

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/adult-food-vs-p uppy-food/
[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 6:31am PST 
Same with Dexter, when Dante was eating kibble I mixed the BB puppy bag with duck. The puppy chicken has 16% fat and 32% protein, the duck has 15% fat and 34% protein. IMO not a huge enough change to make a difference. He liked the duck smile There is a difference with the calcium and phosphorus levels in certain puppy and adult foods that you have to keep an eye on when you have a giant breed, but I think you'll be pretty safe
[notify]

Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 6:55am PST 
Dexter and Dante thank you so much! I still have the Merrick puppy left I think I will get her the Blue Buffalo duck since that seems to be what she liked the most and just mix the two. The big dogs seem to like the Merrick fairly well so I will keep them on that for now or should I switch them back to the BB duck? Again thanks so much. way to goway to goway to go
[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 10:44am PST 
Good luck! way to go I know pickiness can be frustrating, I had a few worries with Dante for a while naughty
As for the switch, that's all you. If they do good on Merrick and that's what you can afford then by all means, it's all on how your own personal dogs do. My doberman can't eat any kibble at all, even the good stuff, so it's nice that you have options to play with on the non picky eaters dog
[notify]
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 12:15pm PST 
Well as soon as the pet store was open i was in there buying the BB duck Penny devoured her whole bowl! She didn't even notice the Merrick puppy that was mixed in. I guess she really liked that BB duck! applauseapplause
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 6:28pm PST 
So glad she gobbled up her dinner! The most important part about choosing a food I think is finding one they like to eat. I dogsat my friends Sheltie last week and she was so picky and reluctant to eat her kibble, it was very annoying... I would do anything to avoid having to deal with that everyday. Haha!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 6:53pm PST 
Penny, I also have 2 Blue Buffalo Duck & Sweet Potato fans. Mika and Kai won't eat anything else. Nice they let us know, huh. We too tried to switch due to budget issues but ended up giving away more in foods they wouldn't eat than we would have just spent buying the Blue. Glad you found a solution.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 8:56pm PST 
Have you tried giving her Merrick Grain Free for all life stages? I switched Hazel over from her Merrick puppy to the grain free buffalo and she seems to love it way more then her puppy food.
[notify]
Penny Lane

I always get my- way!

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 9:24pm PST 
Mika and Kai yes it is great when they let us know! The BB Wilderness duck seems to be popular at my house as my cat eats the BB Wilderness Duck for Cats so far only the two big dogs are left on Merrick and I suspect they will switch over too.

Hazel,

My big dogs eat the Merrick Grain Free and Princess Penny would have no part of it she turned her nose up and walked away. Such a particular puppy!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2