GO!

need to switch from NV Instinct- lower cost/good quality

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 6:12am PST 
Hey there!

My pups have been on NV Instinct for a few years now. They love the food and do alright on it, except I think the high protein and lower carb might be making my pug a tad underweight. I can't seem to keep weight on her no matter how much I feed her!

I am also getting into a financial bind and need something a little more cost efficient. Right now I am paying close to $40 for 13.5lbs that only lasts me 2.5 weeks. I was looking at getting something a little lower in protein and fat. One of my dogs is gluten/corn/soy/wheat/grain intolerant and the pug is allergic to most feathered things and who knows what else (she's always itchy). I need to stick to a grain and potato (white) free food.

I looked at Pioneer Natural's (Great Life) Grain & Potato free foods and they look great on paper, but then I read reviews of plastic and hair in the food??? Plus the company isn't regulated the same?? I am slightly overwhelmed with all of that.

Anyone else have any comments on GL/PN foods or any other grain/potato free foods I might try??

Natural Balance is a no go. My pug gained so much weight and they just weren't healthy on it.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 7:31am PST 
Taste of the Wild beef/pork, Fromm pork/peas, Precise Holistic pork/lentils, several Nutrisource GF formulas should all meet what you're looking for. Not sure on price for all of them, but the ToTW averages below $30 a bag here, the Fromm below $40.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 10:42am PST 
Several of the TOTW formulas - $42 for 30 pounds here. The new Pulsar line from Horizon. That will be Moira and Lily's next food. I found it online at a little more than TOTW as long I order over $50. Moira's skin issues do well on TOTW, especially the fish one. Blue Buffalo made her coat dull.
[notify]

Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 10:45am PST 
Several of the TOTW formulas - $42 for 30 pounds here. The new Pulsar line from Horizon. That will be Moira and Lily's next food. I found it online at a little more than TOTW as long I order over $50. Moira's skin issues do well on TOTW, especially the fish one. Blue Buffalo made her coat dull.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 11:57am PST 
I stopped feeding my dogs Wellness and Natural Balance because of the inconsistant quality of the foods and all of the recalls with Diamond products. I am nervous about TOTW. So you've never had any issues with the food? Seems that most Diamond's issues stem from their plant in South Carolina, yet they still have it operating and you never know which plant your food comes from.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 10:12am PST 
We feed Horizon foods (Amicus and Legacy), but Horizon makes a lower cost single protein food called Pulsar as Moira mentioned. It is also a good food and we have fed it with no problems. I would sure choose it over any food made by Diamond! I think it runs about $40 for a 30 lb bag here, or $16.99 for an 8.8 lb bag. I believe the protein is in the 28% range. You can get either the chicken or the fish formula. It uses red lentils and peas also, instead of potatoes.

Edited by author Wed Sep 25, '13 10:15am PST

[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:42am PST 
Thank you! I will have to look into that. My local pet store does not carry it, looks like there is only one store in the whole state of NC that sells it! I'd have to order some online. My dogs are needing some food and I am going to start the gradual switch, I might try out Great Life and see how they do then look into ordering Pulsar.
[notify]