GO!

Am I staring at a food allergy

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Rascal

Silly

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 4:05pm PST 
So Im trouble shooting my dogs runny eyes. Well actually they are goopy mucousy eyes!
Hes been fully checked by the vet twice.. no answers. ( I am a tech there too, so been around the block a few times lol)
We are thinking its allergies. He has had this goopy eye in past and I remembered it seemed to last forever, it was a few years ago. I cannot remember what I was feeding then. Possibly natural balance.
I know in general due to the patients we see the allergies have been sky high, due to the weather?
So racking my brain trying to make this goop go away. Currently we are using benadryl but I don't think its helping and I HATE medication long term!
I did switch him back to TOTW salmon after being off of it for two months, and then I think a week later the eyeball stuff was happening. I had him on TOTW duck.
Crappy part is I just ordered two more bags of fish if thats the case?
What do you guys think?
Hes not overall itchy, the rest of his body seems to be normal.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 12:58pm PST 
Chance had that this year but it is definitely not food related. We had a very dry summer with lots of pollen, dust, pollution and wildfire smoke.

Her chiropractor vet recommended we add in an extra eye flushing (with a plain eye wash) or 2 per day and look for an eye drop with a natural antihistamine to use once a day.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 1:27pm PST 
Im hoping its allergies. I have been flushing his eyes out twice a day too. It helps with the dried up gunk. I had him on a benadryl all weekend and it seemed tiny bit better. I didn't give him benadryl today and it seems slightly worse so. I just wish something would help the problem!
[notify]

Zeea

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 8:06pm PST 
Hey can you explain the eye goop more? Is it clear or mucus-y yellowish?

If it is clear it is probably an allergy and could be as simple as dust or outside debris getting in the eyes.

Keep up the cleaning around the eyes either with a rinse or even just a warm damp cloth to wipe the goop away.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 3:52pm PST 
its white colored or gray. Not yellow or green. Sometimes he is watery sometimes he is gooey. It got better for one day this week and then back to goop again since.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 3:52pm PST 
its white colored or gray. Not yellow or green. Sometimes he is watery sometimes he is gooey. It got better for one day this week and then back to goop again since.
[notify]