GO!

Do you add anything to your dogs kibble?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 8:38am PST 
I have been feeding raw since the beginning of the year but I'm thinking about doing half kibble half raw. I'm not sure I am providing enough variety and balancing things correctly.

I have read about people adding ACV, yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs among other things as a supplement to their dogs kibble.

I would be feeding a high quality kibble like TOTW or BB, would these supplements still be needed or are they for lower quality kibbles?

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here and here are some supplement recipes I have found.

Thanks.

Edited by author Mon Sep 9, '13 8:38am PST

[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 2:17pm PST 
The foods that you mentioned are going to be nutritionally balanced already. BB has probiotics in a lot of their formulas which is one reason people will add yogurt to their dogs diet. This is common if your dog has a finicky digestive tract or has been on antibiotics but in my experience its not necessary for a healthy dog.

Other reasons to add things to food is the add oils to improve coat. Again this is usually case specific to each dog, some foods may be lacking and some dogs may need the extra boost.

Personally I dont add anything to my dog's kibble except for the odd bit of wet food to add variety and moisture to his diet. laugh out loud
[notify]
Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 8:38am PST 
I feed TOTW or Canidae two days out of three and raw the third.
Day 1 is TOTW with a raw free range organic egg.
Day 2 is TOTW with a splotch of plain organic yogurt.
Day 3 is prey model raw.
I feel TOTW is mid quality, but 'high' quality isn't available to me nor in my price range. BB doesn't agree with Moira. I am looking into Pulsar.
Why the add-ins? Fresh is always best. Would you like to eat nothing but cereal? Lily came with colitis, big time and the yogurt seemed to help. Eggs are nature's most perfect food and offer a lot of nutrition for not too many calories. Moira gains weight easily so that's a consideration. I'm sure they help with her skin and coat, too.
[notify]

Shadow

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 5:58pm PST 
do you feed the whole egg shell and all?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 8:14pm PST 
No, Lily wouldn't eat such a thing - she's such a princess. I used to grind the shells for calcium when I cooked for my dogs (along with calcium powder), but then I decided not to go the cooked route.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 8:15pm PST 
No, Lily wouldn't eat such a thing - she's such a princess. I used to grind the shells for calcium when I cooked for my dogs (along with calcium powder), but then I decided not to go the cooked route.
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 7:07pm PST 
We feed our dogs a Canadian brand called Lifetime and on a weekly basis this diet is supplemented with:
Meat (muscle meat, heart, liver, kidney, giblets, tongue etc)
Meaty bones (usually chicken, turkey. GSD gets pork bones sometimes)
Eggs (Whole, raw)
Fish (Sardine/Salmon - Canned, Salt free)
Occasional fruits and vegetables (human meal scraps, typically)

Our elderly Poodle x Bichon gets a meat based canned food with everything mentioned above as well. Especially heart for extra taurine.
[notify]
May

May: A mutt with- a big heart

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 6:12am PST 
I add something regularly. Faves are:

- raw egg
- live yoghurt
- olive oil with a small amount af raw garlic (good for the coat in small quantities)
- wet food
- poached fish (cod, mackrel, salmon...)

I feed Naxos - it is a mid-to high quality, the only high quality kibble I can get here is Orijen and for some reason it doesn't agree with May's digestion - it gives her runny poos and foul farts!shrug
[notify]
Tobi

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 1:54pm PST 
Tobi eats Canidae Pure Sea Grain-Free Salmon dry food. He likes raw egg (just the egg, no shell) mixed in with the kibble. We also sometimes add homemade gravy to it and he loves it.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 2:28am PST 
I only add fish, yoghurt and Salmon dry food in my Tomy's kibble. Try to feed as much nutrition as possible and avoid sweet things in it. It is always good for their health this way.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2