GO!

What do you feed your dog and why did you choose that brand?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4  
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 11:58am PST 
We feed Victor dog food. It is a 4 or 5 star food on Dog Food Advisor. We feed Hi-Pro Plus, which is 5 stars. http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victordogfood/pdf/Brochure-Hi-Pro%2 0Plus.pdf

We feed this food because Victor has never had a recall, it is a great food, made in the USA with named ingredients and it is very afforadable.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 9:15pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Maddie&Nash

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 6:48am PST 
I rotate between the following:
*California Natural Salmon and Peas
*Back to Basics Hi-Protein Pork (grain free)
*currently trying Nutrisca Chicken and Chickpea

I feed these foods because one of my dogs, Maddie, has severe food allergies to all grains, potatoes (white and sweet), lamb, and alfalfa. Chicken/eggs are a possibly allergy - will see with the Nutrisca. When the allergies are this severe, you have to feed what your dog can eat.

If I didn't have the allergy issue, I'd feed Hi-Tek Naturals Grain Free (made in GA!), Victor (made in TX, I believe), Fromm Grain Free, or Acana Grain Free.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 7:49pm PST 
Right now I feed three foods:
Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete Protein/fat ratio, it's cheap, and my dogs do great on it.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie 'Cause I've fed it a while and like it as a low-cost grain-free option.
Orijen Adult I have a dog with problems, he gets speshul (expensive) food.

Three of the dogs are getting a 60/40 mix of the Diamond EA and the Taste of the Wild. I am feeding a mix because I went out of town and forgot my kibble, had to buy more, and just felt like mixing the two when I got back. I switch it up every bag or so to avoid nutrient excess/deficiencies 'cause no kibble has the same level of nutrients and some of them bother me (if fed long-term) despite me really liking the food. Other brands I use are: EVO, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Earthborn Holistic, Canidae, and Fromm.

I pick dogfoods based on a few things. First is the protein level. It's gotta be at least 30%, higher is better. Next is fat, lowest I'll go is 15% but I prefer to see 18% or more. I chose foods with higher levels of protein/fat 'cause my dogs do much better on them than lower protein/fat foods. Ingredients, I like them to be named, high-quality, and preferably not a million fractions (the same thing many times with a different name) and I don't care for there to be ten billion other ingredients either (like blueberries way the heck at the bottom of the list). I don't care if it's grain-free, but if it is, I don't like peas. I hate how that's the fad now. I will feed foods with peas but I prefer they not be there or just make up a small fraction of the food.
No wheat, corn, or soy 'cause I have a dog that has issues with those things (digestive intolerance, not allergies, different problems).
I really like 30/20 or higher foods, the kind made for high-energy active/sporting/working dogs. I'm going to try this out soon: Native Level 4.

Edited by author Tue Jan 14, '14 7:51pm PST

[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 6:41am PST 
bump
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4