GO!

What do you feed your dog and why did you choose that brand?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Abbie

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 6:57am PST 
I'm struggling with my dogs food. She's doing great on it... I think. But I only just realized that my dogs company changed the ingredients from chicken meal to poultry meal! Can someone please nit pick my food and tell me if its a high quality food?
It's Castlr&Pollux Organix
Ingredients: organic chicken, poultry meal, organic brown rice, organic peas, organic millet, organic oats, poultry fat, salmon meal, natural chicken flavor, organic quinoa, dried egg product, organic flaxseed, minerals, organic carrots, broccoli, pumpkin, pears, salt and then a list of vitamins and other long worded things I'm assuming is just a part of cooking and keeping the food fresh. Basically it has lots of organic things. I'm just concerned that there is too many veggies and not enough meat.
Analysis: protein- (min) 26%
Fat-(min 14%
Fiber- (max) 4.5%
Calcium- (min) 1%
I like the added stuff such as Glucosomine is 150mg/kg and Chondroitin (min) is 75mg/kg Omega 6 (min) is 2% and omega 3 (min) is .35%

Now money is NOT an issue when it comes to my dogs food. I need sme recommendations on what you think is the best possible dry kibble for my dog.

I was thinking of wellness but some said the protein was too high? Is there any reason why a dog shouldn't have a high protein diet? They said something about kidney failure?? I was eyeing the wellness core bags of food as they have lots of meat.
[notify]
Abbie

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 7:15am PST 
I'm actually debating between wellness core as its grain free and also Merrick grain free dog food. Even though Merrick s the one who bought c&p and changed my dogs food! I just really liked how everything was organic.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 12:59pm PST 
FIrst off, C&P is actually fairly good food. . .or at least it has been up until recently. The change to poultry meal instead of chicken meal on the organix line is not exactly recent. It happened some time in January or February.

here's the big issue with it. The organix line is massively false advertising. Look at that list of ingredients. Sure, there is organic items listed, but look again. Poultry meal, broccoli, pumpkin, pears,poultry fat, all of those ar NOT organic. You might think this is no big deal, but then remember that after the water is rendered out of that whole chicken, it loses 80% of its weight. The bulk of the meat proteins are still coming from the non organic, anonymous poultry meal, just like the cheaper grocery store foods. On top of that the organix line adds soy to their grain free organix formula.

Much better is their ultramix line. Still, it seems a bit of a fall from grace for the brand. I quit C&P, which we had been eating for about five months after Taggert wound up with a pretty severe UTI. I switched to Sojos. He had been struggling with antibiotics from february to may at which point he started peeing blood. after I switched for good in May, he cleared up in about 3 weeks. Something is going on with the brand if my dogs arent' the only ones with problems, but who knows for sure.

I switched to Sojos because I kind of have an off again on again love affaier with the brand. Off because they're not AAFCO certified and some of the ir veggies are sourced in china (honestly, nobody else but china makes dehydrated celery chunks, for example) but the food is inspected as human food grade, whatever that really means. But I'm ON because the food is easy to prepare, raw when hydrated and $20 for a 2lb bag which preps out to about 7-10 lbs of food, which lasts us 3 weeks to a month, just like the $20 bags of the other premium foods did. PLus my dogs look leaner than when they were on kibble, the complete version is grain free, and they love the flavor. There will never be mystery meat in it because it is like a raw stew full of diced veggies, fruit, potatoes, kelp, and meat.

Out of the couple dozen premium brands I've tried on them over the years, only a few stand out as being completely awesome with no trouble to my dogs: Orijen, Nature's variety Instinct, Merrick, Sojos, Nutrisca, Fromm

Orijen's only drawback is that it's made in Canada, which is too long of a way for me to consider, though the food is top notch. We've gone to it a number of times. We stay away from 6 fish, as that creates poopies that are so foul that it would make a pig pass out from the stench, but their Adult Dog recipe was well received. The kibbles were a bit big for chihuahua mouths, though. Bonus marketing scheme: their ingredients are local to the factory and they cook their food in it's own juices adding no water to the mix

nature's variety Instinct is a dearly beloved brand, for they not only produce a canned version, but a raw frozen version that is pressure pasteurized, as well as their kibble. They also make a line called "prairie" which is grain inclusive. They use tapioca starch in their instinct kibble mix rather than grains or potatoes, and also adds bentonite clay for aid in removing toxins and adding trace minerals. My dogs loved the beef flavor and the poultry flavor, but turned their noses up at lamb and rabbit. The problem with Instinct is that it is really high calorie. The marketing bonus: Nature's variety uses sustainable agriculture sources. The other problem is that my dogs are nuts for the raw stuff but raw is EXPEN$IVE.

Merrick is a company that makes foods that are actually certified as low glycemic index. This is a must have brand for a diabetic dog. It's a little spendy, but they have tons of variety. Cowboy cookout is especially loved. since Meriick bought C&P, and it's gone down the tubes, I wonder about the whole brand, but I honestly have no clue what's going on there.

Nutrisca is, like Merrick, certified low glycemic index, however, the company has become controversial since their china sourced treats caused some problems in some dogs. Nutrisca food is all US sourced, but their treats are not.

Fromm, avoid the main line dog food and stick to the grain free 4-star nutritionals line. It's a great company with a very positive history.

Sojos, well, I've said a lot about it already, just be aware that they also have a line that is meant to be mixed in with a raw protein of your choice. Those are meatless mixes, and when you add your own meat to those, you have a BARF style raw diet. For the record, I asked them why they are not AAFCO certified, and they said it is because 1. AAFCO cert only means that a dog can survive the food, and 2. To figure out the survivability, the food has to be laboratory tested on animals. I don't know, to me a lab for testing dogs food sounds like a good gig for a dog, but they believe it causes discomfort to the animals shrug

Edited by author Tue Aug 27, '13 1:00pm PST

[notify]

Abbie

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 6:22pm PST 
No everything is organic I just quit putting organic before the veggies. So I went and bought Merricks food today. We got the chicken and sweet potato one. It's grain free and it looks really good. I'm excited for this food! We have been with castor and Pollux for a long time so I never continued checking the ingredients list except for the one time when I was deciding on a food. I just assumed of they were to change the ingredients they would change the bag in some way to prompt me to check for changes too. But they didnt and then today I just looked and was surprised.

We chose on Merrick for now. Giving it a try. If we decide to stick with Merrill and ever wanted to chose a different "dish" in the Merrick line, would I have to do the slow transitioning thing. Like do I have to stay with JUST the chicken bag or could I change it up every now and then and get the duck, buffalo, or beef flavors. Was just curious about that now. Thank you for the detailed response!
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 10:40pm PST 
Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Peas, Organic Millet, Organic Oats, Chicken Fat (Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Organic Quinoa, Dried Egg Product, Organic Flaxseed, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Broccoli, Organic Pumpkin, Organic Pears, Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Chondroitin Sulfate, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis, Fermentation Solubles, Rosemary Extract.

that's what they still have on their website. It's still really troubling that tehy went to anonymous meals on the package, but still won't update the site. The meat meals and fats are still not organic

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potato, Peas, Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Minerals (Salt, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract

there's the list of the merrick you got

Edited by author Tue Aug 27, '13 10:42pm PST

[notify]
Abbie

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:25am PST 
Yes I like that they have more meat. Would I be able to switch favors every now and then or should I just stick with the same meat type? They also have duck, beef, buffalo, and pork
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 8:22am PST 
Potato, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Whole Blueberries, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, choline chloride, calcium propionate (preservative), Minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, maganese proteinate, copper proteinate, iodine, cobalt carbonate, selenium yeast) Vitamins (vitamin E supplement,riboflavin, niacin, d–pantothenic acid, thiamine hydrochloride, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, yeast extract (a source of prebiotics), glucosamine hydrochloride

First Mate chicken and blueberry. Made in Canada. Their website has a link for customers who need to order online and they have no recalls on record. They make both a small bites and a regular formula and their customer service people are awesome. I feed multiple dogs with a variety of health issues and of varying ages. All have done well on it.
[notify]
Abbie

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 8:48am PST 
I had decided on the Merrick Grain Free line. It's also gluten free which is nice.
Then line has different favors but the only thing different in the ingredients is the deboned meat part. It's the first ingredient that changes. So does this make the favors interchangeable? I would love to offer my dogs a more variety for my dogs every few months and offer a different meat protein source
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 10:39am PST 
I'd switch around. Within a brand, flavors are absolutely interchangable. Unless your dog has severe food issues, changing the protein around is very healthy. There are a lot of varieties to try with merrick, and maybe you could even try out C&P ultramix too. They have a sweet potato and duck indulgent recipe that my dogs absolutely flipped for. I'd drop the organix line though. it's just not as good.

grain free is always gluten free, considering the gluten people are concerned about "gliadin" is only found in wheat, barley, and rye. grain inclusive can be gluten free if it has stuff like rice, oats, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, corn, millet/teff, sorghum/milo, or wild rice

Edited by author Wed Aug 28, '13 10:46am PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 2:35pm PST 
Check out Dogfoodavisor.com It has a list of foods and anyalsis them. Mine, Holistic Blend Grain Free, is 5 stars, along with quite a few otherssmile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4