GO!

Premium Dog Food Recommendations

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Zoey

out of the- shiverer comes- the brave!

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 1:33am PST 
I have two 5 year old female chihuahuas that are on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed Dry. I want a food that is grain-free, healthy, high-quality, and is the premium choice for my pups. I'm looking to switch them to the Instinct Raw Boost Beef & Lamb. Is this a good choice in your experience, or is there another better brand I should switch to? If you don't like or recommend this brand, please by all means direct me to another!

Added info: They both have gunky eyes, are noticeably itchy, have a dry coat, dandruff, gas, burping, and it is not entirely uncommon for them to throw up yellow liquid of differing opacity and mucus levels.

Edited by author Tue Aug 27, '13 2:18am PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 5:37am PST 
Interesting...the blue buffalo wilderness is a grainfree dog food thinking Maybe theres an ingredient in there that isn't agreeing with your dog? Have they always had gunky eyes? Or is it more recent, perhaps related to outdoor allergies?

here's a thread you migh find helpful:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518898

As for the raw stuff, I can't help you there. Good luck to you! way to go
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 8:04am PST 
I have a 15 pound terrier mutt...Right now I'm feeding him Fromm Grain Free Game Bird recipe and he's doing very well on it. His coat is soft and shiny..Other foods that he has done well on are Amicus and Orijen adult recipe.

Amicus is a food specifically made to meet the nutritional requirements of small breeds.
[notify]

Abbie

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 8:27am PST 
Right now my dogs are on Castor and Pollux Organkx but they changed an ingredient from chicken meal to poultry meal so I'm looking at changing his brand. I'm eyeing wellness core or Merrick grain free. More so merrick by the looks of the ingredients on the bag!
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 12:46pm PST 
Wellness. I have my Chi on Wellness, it was recommended by a dermatologist. It's a great food that she loves. On the eyes and skin, those are symptoms of allergies. Dampen a washcloth with warm water and wash gently the outside of your dogs eyes. It takes off the allergens they pick up outside and makes them more comfortable and they look better, too! In the spring and summer I do this once in the morning and once in the evening. It's easy and costs zero. The dry skin is another issue. First, I'd try human dandruff shampoo that combines dandruff shampoo and dandruff conditioner. Do this once a week per dog during allergy season. After the dog is dry, then use a hypoallergenic hand lotion to rub into thier skin as much as you can. Concentrate on the driest areas that they can't reach to lick off. It should feel like a nice massage to them. Do this right after you dry them off, after the bath, and it should lock some moisture in. Doing this helped my little Penny so much, we don't even have to go to the doggy dermatologist anymore!! Good luck and hope this helps!!! wave
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 1:12pm PST 
Instinct should be awesome for allergies. They us Montmorillonite clay in their kibble, which is a type of Bentonite. It's a clay made from grains of ancient volcanic ash, and it is used in actual medical practice to remove heavy metals and aflatoxins from the body--a big plus when you think of how many times over the last couple of years that all sorts of companies struggle with aflatoxin in their food factories. Also, they use tapioca starch rather than potatoes. They have an LID line of instinct, and if you can have grains, their Prairie line is good too.

Plus instinct is sourced from sustainable agriculture sources, and their factory is in Lincoln Nebraska, right at the heart of the US.

The only thing to watch out for with Chihuahuas is that their food is really high calorie. 5000 kcal/kg. They will probably need a little bit smaller portions. I'd recommend their frozen raw variety too.

Wellness is a good option, well trusted just like Blue and widely available but the people I know who tried it wound up with pets who had terrible gas.

Edited by author Tue Aug 27, '13 1:16pm PST

[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 2:19pm PST 
My dogs are eating Amicus (made by Horizon) and they do very well on it. It is formulated for small and mini breed dogs. My dogs also do well on Horizon Legacy. We have fed Fromm also and use it sometimes as part of our rotation.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 10:04pm PST 
I stand by Merrick brand foods. They are awesome and Hazel is doing very well on it. puppy
[notify]
Buddy

The Big Poobahs

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 1:07pm PST 
My pack enjoys TOTW, Orijen, Acana and Core. None of them have done well on BB. Some dogs do great while others don't.
[notify]
Jellybean

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 10:05pm PST 
Both my girls are on Amicus and have been for a while with no issues. I do supplement some extra flax on the food everyday though as I find both my girls skin and coats get a little dry without it.
[notify]