GO!

How do i get my 11 month old pit bull to eat?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 7:17pm PST 
@Roxy i agree it does seem to be a pit bull thing lol. I dont know what to do i dont really want to return the BB since she has already started to adjust. Ontop of that eukanuba has been recalled so either way she could not have it. And thank got my switched to BB also for her dog righg before it got recalled that was a close one..
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 7:17pm PST 
I can tell u from experience that PETsMART will take open bags of food back. I have done this 2 times. U have to fill out a little sheet of paper which asks for ur name and email and why u r returning it. I just said my dog did not like it. They never contacted me after the return. One of the times I exchanged it for another bag of food and the other time I exchanged it for toys so I'm not sure if they give cash back or not.
[notify]
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 7:20pm PST 
@Sandy thank you for letting me know ^.^ that will help me for the future. But Eukanuba has just been recallled i had seen the post on this forum so i cant go exchange it.. i guess shes just going to have to adjust.
Maybe she doesnt like the flavor its sweet potatoe and fish by Blue Buffalo.
[notify]

Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 9:08pm PST 
U could exchange it for a different brand. My dog is an extremely picky eater so it took me a very long time to find a food that worked.
[notify]
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 7:34am PST 
@Sandy i might just have to do that i wish theyd let dogs taste test dome of the food lol that
would really help us owners figure out what to feed them. What does your sog eat? And i think Chevy is picky too .confused this morning i mixed a egg into her dog food and she barley ate. It
She was eating it just fine since yesterdag maybe it is because shes confused about being here and nkt seeing her previous owner... hopefully this will pass quickly and she can eat normal again.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 8:28am PST 
I just asked about the medical records cause someone suggested you take her to the vet. It would have been a good idea if you knew nothing about her past medical history, but since you do, I don't think there's any reason to go. My 2 boys are very picky eaters and will walk away from their bowls if I give then nothing but dry. I use to cook for them and mix it with their food, then I got lazy so now I buy 2 packets of beef gravy a week, thin it out to make it last a week and put alittle over their dry food. Now they eat with no problem at all.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 9:31am PST 
I promise being a picky eater is not limited to pit bulls. I have 2 Akitas and each is picky in their own way. Both absolutely will not eat any dry food except BB Wilderness. We have tried other brands and given away more than a few hundred dollars worth of various foods. I don't bother buying other brands anymore. Their favorite is the Duck & Sweet potato. My DH bought the chicken flavor and they were not happy but did eat it.

I did want to let you know, some days my pups eat more food than other days. A lot depends on their activity level the weather and what is going on around them. Things like my grandkids spending the day can throw them off of eating that day but the next day they will eat like champs.

It may be that your dog although it knows you isn't eating well all of the time just because that is it's normal habit or the changes in homes, rules, schedules and other issues as well as the change in food. It often takes weeks to months for some dogs to get used to a new home. My nephew adopted a 3 year old pit bull several years ago, Porky was very bonded to his original family but they were forced to give him up due to the father/man of the house returning from overseas deployment and Porky's inability to accept him as part of the family. While he was well trained and wonderful it took Porky nearly a year to settle in at my nephews house and one of their biggest problems was food and stomach issues. He even ended up on a special prescription diet to eliminate any food related causes for the poor eating and upset stomachs. There was no allergy or organic physical issue or other physical health related problem, he just missed his original family. Please give your pup some time to get over leaving his original family and as long as he is eating, healthy and doing well don't worry too much. Adjustment just takes time. Good Luck.
[notify]
Buddy

The Big Poobahs

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 11:25am PST 
You could try a bit of tough love. Leave the bowl down for 15 min. If he doesn't touch it or finish it take it up till the next feeding. He'll get the picture sooner or later. As far as food, my pack didn't do well on BB. We do a rotation of Taste Of The Wild, Orijen, Canidae and Natural Balance. We go through all flavors. Those could be some options for you. I tend to stay away from big box stores and use local stores. Usually the prices are better and more variety. wishes
[notify]
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 11:49am PST 
@Hucky thats a pretty good idea with the gravy i think i should try that seeing she doesnt care for.
chicken broth that much either. Im also going to make her some Satin Balls .

@Mika i also thought about that to that she just needs to adjust i am going to just let her eat when she feels like it.

@Buddy the tough love thing doesnt work well on her since she really isnt caring to eat for the moment
Lol but i had chose Blue Buffalo because i had heard from people that was one of the best dog foods for pit bulls but now i dont know. When she does adjust to my home iand she still foesnt care for it i will switch to Canidae.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 5:08pm PST 
You just have tough luck at petsmart. Find a dog food specialty store in your area. The big box places never have free samples, but lots of times, the small stores always do. We scouted out tons of samples with foxxy and taggert. Sometimes you can even request samples through the web sites. That's how we figured out, for example, that ours loves Fromm 4 star, but not their main line, or they like Taste of the wild, but won't touch barking at the moon. Mine also like Instinct chicken and their raw chubs, but will only pick at their Rabbit and their lamb varieties. These companies are usually more than happy to give out samples.

Getting a dog to eat is pretty easy. Unless they're sick, they'll eat when they are hungry. the trick is to be stern in making sure that they are only hungry when you want to feed them. That's why timers are helpful. They have, say 20 minutes to eat, and they get nothing until the next mealtime whether they finish or not. Eventually they will come around.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2