GO!

How do i get my 11 month old pit bull to eat?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 8:46am PST 
I have a purebreed 11 month old female pit bull named Chevy. I just recently toke her in a couple of days her previous owner could no longer keep her due to apartment rules no pit bulls allowed. Anyways she is skinny you can kind of see her shoulders pop out when she bends her neck. When i brought her home she ate what my moms rott ate Eukanuba she ate two full bowls right away. The next did i went to petsmart and bought Blue Buffalo and switched her over to that. Shes picking at it she will eat it but not all of it. I have had pit bulls rotts and german shepherds as a child growing up. Just recently turnt 18. The pit bulls i had all ate 3 bowls a day and were healthy and had shiny clean fur. They also had muscle. How do i get her to eat that same way?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 10:08am PST 
He may just be adjusting to his new home, but since he liked the food at ur moms house could u buy that instead? PETsMART will take open bags of food back I have returned them before.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 10:11am PST 
Are the photos on her page recent? If so, she looks fine and wouldn't worry about her being too skinny. To determine if she is too skinny or not you need to feel her spine and ribs. If her ribs are too easily felt or visible then she is too skinny, but if you can feel a thin layer of fat over her ribs then she is fine. If you cannot feel her ribs or if you need to press hard to find her ribs then she is too heavy. Also, she is 11 months old and she may not be done filling out yet, so again don't worry if she is a little lean, it's actually better for a dog to be a little lean than it is to be a little heavy because it puts less stress on their joints. Many dogs do not fully mature until at least 2 years old so she may be on the leaner side for quite a while til then. If she is not finishing her food, try cutting back a little bit. Some people find that with the higher protein foods you can feed your dog less of the food because it fills them up better. Also, compare the two foods. Blue Buffalo compared to Eukanuba might be more calorie dense and she might not need as much food as she did on Eukanuba. Since you haven't had her for very long she could be settling into her new home and that could also be affecting her appetite. Has she been to the vet yet? It's also a good idea to take any new dog to the vet right away, if you haven't already. That way you can see if there's something medical going on that may be affecting her appetite. Hope that helps!

Edited by author Wed Aug 14, '13 10:25am PST

[notify]

Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 10:36am PST 
@Sandy really? I did not know that i think i might return it then. But the reason i went.for Blhe Buffalo
is because i heard it is one.of the best dog foods for pit bulls along with canide (not sure if i spelt that right.)
@Lilly yes those pictures are recent but i can feel her ribs easily but they are not visible. I know her parents had to have been big thats wht i dont understand why her weight isnt going up but like you had said she is still growing hopefully i see progress soon .
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 11:50am PST 
Easy to feel but not visible ribs is perfect. You can't increase the size of a dog by feeding them. All that does is make them fat. She'll get as big as she gets, and so long as she is not too skinny she's fine.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 11:50am PST 
Easy to feel but not visible ribs is perfect. You can't increase the size of a dog by feeding them. All that does is make them fat. She'll get as big as she gets, and so long as she is not too skinny she's fine.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 12:11pm PST 
My Charley ate like that too.I would fill his bowl in the morning and he would pick, then leave then pick again. Sometimes there was still food left in his bowl the next morning, then other times he would eat the whole bowl at once. Charley lived his life span and weighed almost 100 lbs before he started going down hill at almost 13 yrs old. I wouldn't worry too much as long as she is eating. Maybe she just doesn't like the BB, or maybe she's confused realizing that she hasn't seen her owner in awhile now, you know, homesick.thinking. Do you know the previous owners well? Can you get in touch with them and ask for her medical records or at least what vet she went to and you request her records yourself. That's what I did when I adopted Huck. The owner gave me pills that the dog had to finish for a rash on his belly so I contacted the vet on the label and told them that I just adopted the dog and would like all his records. Within minutes, the records were faxed to me.
[notify]
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 12:47pm PST 
@Hucky i do have all of her vet records the previous ownef gave me her folder she js up to date on everything. In three months i just have to take her back to get her physical and shots again. I do think its BB. But i got the biggest bag they had for her ... i put a raw egg and mixed it in her food ag lhnch time and she ate all kf her food so i am going to give her 2 eggs a day and give her. Her food plain once a day. I am thinking that would work...
[notify]
Chevy

Find new roads.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 12:48pm PST 
@Ember yeab i dont want her to get fat lol we will see after awhile what her fibal size is ^.^
[notify]
Roxy

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 1:48pm PST 
Maybe it's a pit-bull "thing". I had my 8mo pitty on Wellness Core, then my local petstore stopped carrying it, so I switched to Orijen. She would have nothing to do with it. Just a sniff and walk away. I gave her several days, then I gave in and found another petstore with Wellness Core. "sigh".
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2