GO!

Is any meat really best? ( Dry dog food )

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 1:33pm PST 
Right now Hazel is finishing up her bag of Merrick Chicken puppy food, afterwards I am going to be buying her a grain free food from Merrick, but I have choices for the meat.

The choices are: Buffalo, Duck, Beef, and Chicken again.

She also has allergies, not to the food but more so the environment. She is also highly allergic to bug bites and bee stings. The vet recommended a grain free food, for her allergies, but I am unsure if the meat would really matter.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 1:43pm PST 
I think its more about what meat your dog does best on. My dog is allergic to poultry, and I rotate between beef venison and lamb.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 1:45pm PST 
Since it's kibble, I don't believe it matters much. Vitamins and minerals are added back in anyway, so it's not like a raw diet where you are relying on your ingredients to balance out. Plus if you look, a lot of novel protein foods are actually chicken or beef-based, they just include duck or pheasant or buffalo or venison in addition - at least in the case of higher quality foods that are mostly meat. Lower quality limited ingredient diets are typically full of fillers, because using that much of a novel protein gets expensive.

That being said, I do believe in variety regardless. Eating exactly the same thing every day can cause it's own problems. And novel proteins are a nice change, even if they aren't the only protein.
[notify]