GO!

Pet Owners Blame Blue Buffalo

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 8:07am PST 
I'm little skeptical of there being anything wrong with BB because Roman is on it and he's fine. He has a case of localized demodectic mange but that was showing up before I started feeding him BB and it's the main reason why I switched to BB. Other than that, he's fine. He's a lot more energetic than he used to be (he still sleeps a bit because we're an active family) and if you don't count the yellow poop from the yellow crayon he ate, he's healthier than he used to be.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/pet-owners-blame-blue-buf falo-for-their-animals-illnesses-fda-expresses-concern-about-continu ing-pet-food-issues-031213.html

Also, I have had no more incidences with car sickness since the switch.

Edited by author Thu Aug 8, '13 8:19am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 8:53am PST 
I've fed my dogs Blue Buffalo Wilderness for years, pretty much since we got Kai and have never had a single problem with it, or their health. We just saw the vet not long ago and they had great check-ups. I do know that not every dog does well on every dog food but until I hear of a recall or have a problem I'm not switching my pups food. Blue is pretty much the only thing they will actually eat without a fuss and Mika is VERY picky. We tried some other brands to give our budget a break but they refused to even consider eating them.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 9:42am PST 
I personally, have never seen a GSD do well on it but I am convinced it's a breed thing, not the food. Shepherds are notorious for tummy issues and IMO BB is just to rich for them. I can't in all fairness blame the food though, and I think when you have a dog that is ill it's easy to grasp at straws and blame every one and every thing. That said it does seem a common trend with many dogs that they eat BB and suffer digestive issues so maybe BB should start looking at it.
[notify]

Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 10:54am PST 
I just think that there are a lot of factors that go into why a dog can have tummy troubles and a lot of people just want to blame something that they buy instead of blaming themselves for say feeding table scraps or their dog getting into the garbage. As for GSDs, I do not know any GSDs on BB... or any GSDs in general, so I can't say anything on that front.

A lot of people are switching their animals too fast onto BB. The people with cats, who are older, on BB who are complaining about UTIs, I'm sorry, but UTI's are common in cats over the age of 7 or 8, especially in male cats. Liver disease after having your animal on BB for less than 3 weeks, most likely a pre-existing condition. And like people, a lot of animals have allergies too, so it could very well be an ingredient in BB that is affecting the dog, but every other food with that ingredient will too. There are so many factors that people don't think of before blaming the product.

shrug

I like the product and it's a good food within my financial ability, albeit on the higher end of it.
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 7:11am PST 
I find BB to be extremely overrated. It's certainly not a bad food, but you can do a lot better. On top of that, I'm wary of any pet food company that puts the amount of money into advertising that BB has, and accepts deals with big box stores. I see them as being on a very similar path as Nutro, or Natura. The store I currently work in is in the process of phasing BB out, and I know several other very conscious independent retailers who won't touch the stuff.

As part of phasing it out, the store owner decided to use up some remaining stock on her dog. This caused a near constant stream of suffocating Bulldog gas and persistent loose stools, as well as eye gunk.

Fox also did absolutely terrible on BB. Low appetite, weight gain, dry coat, shedding constantly, inflamed eyes, yellow eye gunk, and chronic ear infections. She was only on it for convenience, so all we had to do was take the trouble to keep her entirely on raw. All the problems resolved quickly as soon as she was off BB.

I don't believe the stuff is outright toxic, or contaminated in any way. But it's not a food I recommend.

Edited by author Fri Aug 9, '13 7:15am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 10:44am PST 
It really depends on the dog and the dogs issues. Like people no two dogs are alike. I think Blue Buffalo is a great food, my moms dog loves it. Unfortunately, my little guy had trouble with it. He loved it but he had diarrhea off and on, was always hungry, never finished his meals, and had terrible gas! I switched foods and he didn't do any better on the Wellness Core ... but he's on Wellness Simple - Limited Diet and he's perfect. His stool was perfect from day one of switching. Weird.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 6:42am PST 
Fox- We had the exact opposite reaction to Blue Buffalo here. Mika was on Iam's Healthy Naturals, I know not a good food but the best we could get here until our Petco started to carry BB. She had eye gunk and loose stools a lot.
We tried other foods but still had problems, since we switched to BB Wilderness all of her issues have stopped. We recently tried switching to several different foods that were a bit more budget friendly but similar and she either had issues again or just plain refused to eat. While there are a few foods that some have said are better quality in our area things like Wellness, Royal Canin, and Solid Gold also means an additional $20 per bag at a minimum, something our budget just won't bear having to feed 2 Akita's. Aside from Acana which is not available here, do you have any other suggestions for a comparable or better quality food than we are currently getting for the same price or less? We are paying $58/ 24lb. bag. Food must be grain-free and 30% min. protein. Must also be small sized kibble as Mika will not eat anything with pieces bigger than BB. I am open to other options if you would be willing to recommend. Thanks.
[notify]
Juniper

Backtalking- sassface

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 2:25pm PST 
We've used the Wilderness lines for both the dogs and cats on occasion since we generally pick up whatever grain free is on sale, never had any issues at all.

My S/O's family recently switched all three of her dogs onto it and they've NEVER looked better. Before they tried several brands of food started with canidae, then taste of the wild, natural balance, earthbron holistic.. Throughout their Doberman had a terrible coat, loose stools, low muscle tone.. etc. Now on BBWilderness he looks like a completely different dog.

Obviously every dog isn't going to do well on every food. =)
[notify]
Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 2:28pm PST 
I've fed my dogs BB for years - 1 Chow, 2 Akitas, 1 Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix. None of these dogs had a problem on BB. In fact, the Chow and one of the Akitas' allergies actually cleared up while on BB. I switch between Freedom and Wilderness, all flavors, with no problems.

That being said, I recently got an 8 week old Lab mix who apparently can't handle BB, at least not the Wilderness puppy. He developed bad diarrhea (switched to BB over course of a week). He's been on a rice, chicken and sweet potato diet for the last week, and on the vet's orders,, I mixed in just a couple pieces of Royal Canine Development last night. Diarrhea is back today, so I'm thinking this little guy may not be able to stomach any kibble at this point.

I don't blame think the quality of BB's food had dropped, but some dogs simply don't seem to be able to handle the Wilderness formula. I haven't seen any reports that link specific health problems to BB, the way they found liver problems in dogs fed contaiminanted food in 2004. Until I see those reports, I'll keep feeding BB to my dog...just not to my puppy until I figure out what in kibble is causing his diarrhea.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 5:03am PST 
To the poster above me. Just a thought but it could be protein content. I sent some BB to my sister who has a puggle and a beagle and they both didn't do so well on it even transitioned properly. Mostly an issue with loose stools that would not firm up. When my pups refused to eat ToTW I sent the bag to her. They loved it and did great from day 1 with no issues. She didn't have the chance to transition because they would pick out the ToTW and leave the old food in the bowl. ToTW is grain-free but only around 20% protein compared to BB Wilderness being 32-34% protein depending on which variety you use. Just a thought.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3