GO!

Possible allergies to food...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Sassy

~Hyper yet as- smart as can be~-

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 8:55pm PST 
Hello, now on top of one problem (with Koda) I've now got another one on my hands.

So, now I've also got to fight with my parents over something else... Fun, fun confused .

So, Sassy's shown most of the signs of allergies. She scartches at her lower regions often, bites at her toes, once she even scratched "down there" enough that she started to bleed. Now, her ears are turning very red. I'm really hoping they are not infected. I don't know what I would do about that... I will ask and see if we can get some ear mite medicine just in case that is what it is. I also told my mom that we will probably have to change dog foods.

Anyone have any suggestions? What to avoid? Any certain brands that won't cost a fortune to buy?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 8:59pm PST 
I'd suggest a novel protein and grain free diet. Like venison, rabbit, bison etc if your dog is eating chicken and rice now make sure u stay away from other poultry like duck. Salmon and sweet potato would be another option. As far as price goes I would just look around for the best deal. If your dog is not eating lamb now I think lamb would probably be the cheapest.
[notify]
Sassy

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 9:17pm PST 
Okay, thank you...
[notify]

Babe

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 10:20am PST 
I have a westie that has been allergy tested..was about 500 bucks and a blood test..turns out she is allergic to beef,.lamb,.corn,potatoes,soy,peanuts,oats and yeast...is.nearly impossible.to buy dog food..sowe are eating the natural balance lentil and duck limited ingrediany stuff and.so far so good..good luck allergies are a nightmare! she also has environmental allergies so it is not always the food
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 5:44pm PST 
How's her poop looking? I ask because some dogs have allergies to the environment, like grass and pollen, and like with people it can get really bad during allergy season. It can cause a lot of itching, and if this is a case you'll want to give her a bath and then wipe her down with a damp cloth when she comes back inside to help minimize the amount of allergens on her.

If her poop is very soft, pudding-like or diarrhea than yeah, I would guess food allergy. There are a couple of very limited ingredient foods you can try to see if her poop improves (I think...Wellness has some?).

Through trial and error I found out Arya doesn't tolerate chicken well. I feed her Taste of the Wild, they have a few different ones with different proteins in them. It's grain free and not horribly expensive compared to some other brands. You can go to the Taste of the Wild website and look up a location near you that carries their food.

There's no fleas or flea dirt on her right?? :o It's definitely flea season right now, and they can be rough.
[notify]
Sassy

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 6:53pm PST 
Yes, I thought about other allergies but if it was that then she wouldn't scratch at her bottom so much. Definitely not enough to make it bleed. And, than you, Arya, I will look into that as well.

And, $500 is a little much for us to spend right at this moment...
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 10:13pm PST 
Definitely would second the suggestion for a grain free diet and a novel protein. I've seen some dogs with severe skin irritations from sensitivities and allergies that have been cleared up by feeding a true limited ingredient diet like venison and potato. Avoid ingredients like corn, wheat, and chicken protein.

Good luck, hope she feels better soon!
[notify]
(Indie) CH- Herdabout- Tri N 4 I

HURRY UP!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 9:34am PST 
I agree with everyone else...do a grain free diet and a different protein... I had been feeding my guys foods with chicken in them...recently tried duck and whitefish but that didn't work so now I am going to rabbit and salmon...

It may be some trial and error, but when you find a diet that works...stick with it to ensure your pup is happy smile

Maybe even try a supplement like fish oils or coconut oil to help with the itchy skin and the GI issues (coconut oil can help with that)

Good luck!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 10:47am PST 
If you think its a food allergy try Wellness Simple - its Limited Diet. My dog loves the Salmon one. Like others said there could be environmental issues as well. My mom's dog is allergic to the St. Augustine grass in their yard. Booo ...
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 10:47am PST 
If you think its a food allergy try Wellness Simple - its Limited Diet. My dog loves the Salmon one. Like others said there could be environmental issues as well. My mom's dog is allergic to the St. Augustine grass in their yard. Booo ...
[notify]