GO!

Puppy on Nutro but thinking of switching...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeea

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 8:18pm PST 
Zeea (my 10 weeks old puppy) is on Nutro Natural Choice large breed puppy (chicken and brown rice) but her stools have been really soft. I talked to the vet about her stools and it is not a medical issue (she has been de-wormed).

Does anyone have an idea of what I should feed Zeea. I was thinking of feeding Authority but am not 100% sure. I want a food that will be great for Zeea, make her stools harder, but will not cost too much. I looked at Royal Canin but it is too expensive, especially when the ingredients are comparable to other foods.

Thank you so much for all of your help.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:34am PST 
well aren't you a cutie! big grin While Nutro isn't the worst and authority is okay too, I 'll say that I have never been a fan of Royal Canin. I am going to point you to a thread..."so are you confused by dog food"

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518 898

It's a great thread to understand more about dog food. Right off the bat, I can recommend some good brands: Wellness, Blue, Merrick, Taste of the Wild

I'll even point you to a website many find helpful:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

in the search field, type puppy dry food it will point you to the best 5 star/4 star rating food.

hope that helps! way to go
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:37am PST 
oh and just want to say I'm glad you came here! way to go
[notify]

Zeea

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:03pm PST 
Thanks for the welcome Scooter. puppy

So after reading about food it seems Authority is a good choice and the have a large breed puppy formula. I read the 'confused about food...' post and it was very helpful.

I have another question and this may seem like an odd question but since Zeea has not done well on the Nutro food will it be ok to give her the puppy development treats or would it be the same effects as the food.

Thanks.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 4:48am PST 
hmmmm i wouldn't think she needs puppy development treats unless the vet is worried about her development. If it's just not agreeing with her it could be something in the nutro food. YOu can try the authority to see if it works for your puppy. It seems their ingredients are similar so hopefully you dn't run into the same issue. wellness is a good food and they do carry a large breed puppy formula as well. Good luck!

Did you see this? It seems like an interesting article:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-puppy- foods/

Edited by author Wed Jul 31, '13 4:56am PST

[notify]
(Indie) CH- Herdabout- Tri N 4 I

HURRY UP!

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 7:29am PST 
I had my guys on Nutro growing up...we used hte small breed one and I noticed soft stools too...formed but soft...

They are now on a mix of Fromms whitefish and Natural Planet Organics...They are doing amazingly! Indie has had major GI issues and was even admitted to the vet for a couple days because of it...this food and Natural Balance venison are hte only diets he has been good with smile

Good luck and Welcome to Dgoster! smile
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 4:40pm PST 
Hey Zeea, you are very cute welcome

Benny eats Nutro Ultra puppy formula and he's been doing super well on it, stools are firm and small and he doesnt have to go that much which leads me to believe he is getting the most out of the food with not a lot of unnecessary fillers.

You might want to try feeding a different protein like a lamb formula, it could be the protein that she isn't quite getting along with.

Hope you find something that works smile
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 9:54am PST 
Thanks Indie and Benny for the information and advice.

Unfortunately that is the problem with food, some dogs do really well on it and others do not. shrug

Zeea's stools were getting better on their own but now they are softer again. I am going to try mixing in Authority and see what happens. Also I am giving her treats with pumpkin in them.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 10:15am PST 
You might want to try grain free...I wonder if that would help. We use a pumpkin powder that we put in my brothers food because he had softer stools...it helped make them more solid and not as small
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 10:24am PST 
I am not a fan of Nutro, so I would change to another brand. That's just me. A lot of dogs do well on Nutro and a lot don't do well on it. You just have to find what works for your pup. It can be a challenging process. We are currently feeding Amicus to all our dogs, including our 4 month old puppy. They do very well on it. Other foods we use are Horizon Legacy (Amicus is also made by Horizon), and we also use Fromm (the Four-Star formulas). My dogs don't do well on salmon based food or lamb based foods. Just about anything else is fine. If a food has a little bit of salmon further down the ingredients list, it is usually fine though. I avoid foods where salmon or lamb are the main ingredient though. Horizon is a great company and they make a puppy food in their Legacy line. Their foods are also appropriate for all life stages. Fromm makes their formulas all life stages but don't really have a designated puppy formula. Good luck with your search for the right food. It can be a challenge, but you will find something that works.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2