GO!

Florida Dogsters: Publix Premium Dog Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:53am PST 
I just saw an add for it today and I'm curious. I haven't gotten around to going to the store to read the ingredients, but what they advertise seems promising...which could really mean nothing other than they have a good marketing department.

Does anyone buy this for their dog?
What are the ingredients?
Price?

I currently feed my dogs Iams(because my parents are in charge of buying food) but I plan to switch them to something higher quality when I move. It'd be nice if the Publix Premium food was the higher quality I'm looking for and a lower price than some of the others I've looked into.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 11:58am PST 
Alabama, but I do all my grocery shopping at the local Publix. I'll swing by today and see what I can't find out for you.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:13pm PST 
Ingredients
Analysis

Was in a hurry and forgot to check prices, sorry!
Looks pretty close to Iams to be honest, minus the corn. If its around the same price, it might be something to try.
[notify]

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:45am PST 
Thank you Mulder! It looks about the same, without the corn like you said. The next time I'm out I'll check the price for myself and see if the switch is worth it.
[notify]
Bartholomew

Cutie Pie

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 11:44am PST 
I’ve seen it for sale where I live. Here is it compared to some other dog foods:
http://www.publix.com/featured/FeaturedProduct/PublixPremium PetFood/Home.do

Looks better than some of the lower quality brands, definitely.
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 10:17pm PST 
Not long ago Publix recalled their chicken treats. I can’t find the ingredients of their food online, but I think it would be best to stay away from them. I recommend looking at Acana Regionals Grain-Free. Amicus is another good dog food. It’s very high quality and contains superior ingredients. I would try to stay away from any brand that has had recalls recently. Iams is a low quality food and contains poor quality ingredients such as corn meal, chicken by-product meal, dried beet pulp, brewers dried yeast and caramel. But, I wouldn’t feed Publix, if I were you.
[notify]
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 8:58am PST 
Mervyn, I'm aware Iams is lower quality but as I said I'm currently not the one in charge of food choices for my dogs. I was unaware of the Publix recalls though, thank you for that information. I will look into Acana Regionals and Amicus.

Edited by author Sun Jul 14, '13 8:59am PST

[notify]
Kayla

The Ultimate- Watchdog

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 1:59am PST 
I feed Iams and I'm very happy with it!
[notify]
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:01am PST 
I had two Siberian Huskies who ate Iams all 10/12 years of their lives. I have no issues with it, I'd just like to switch to something higher quality for my dogs, even just to mix in with the Iams. I spoil them way more than my parents ever even considered spoiling the huskies.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 5:42am PST 
Publix Premium Dog Food is made by Mars Petcare, which also makes Nutro, Royal-Canin, Greenies, Whiskas, Cesar..
The first main ingredient is chicken. It has no corn, no wheat, no soy.
I would like to see a professional review of it but so far it looks good and my dog loves it.
Iams Naturals also has chicken as first ingredient but my grocery store doesn't sell it. A search also shows that Iams has had recalls. I imagine all big manufacturers have at some point. I think many recalls are due to sourcing an ingredient from China.

Edited by author Tue Aug 13, '13 6:00am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2