GO!

Wth... I'm a snob.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 12:51pm PST 
I'm just a little confused, and am wondering if I'm the only one..

My SIL has an Irish Wolfhound. Who knows how reputable her breeder is. I know he breeds for health and longevity, but also only breeds for 'pets'. I wish I knew who her breeder was specifically so I could check him out more, anyway, besides the point.

My SIL has her dog currently on a grain-free, high quality dog food. I know this to be true because of the store she purchases it at, so while I don't know the name of the dog food in particular, I WORKED at one of these stores chains and they DO NOT CARRY ANY FOOD filled with grains or by-products. They're a health food store, specifically. A large portion of their food is raw. Anyway...

My SIL told me she's thinking about going back to Pedigree. I asked her why. She said because the store employee who recommended this higher quality kibble has had two Irish Wolfhounds, both of which have died of cancer at young ages. Three years and seven years. Isn't seven years considered old for a Wolfhound? Anyway... My SIL blames the food. I pointed out that it's HIGHLY likely that her dogs lifespans had more to do with genetics, and who knew what kind of 'breeder' this girl got her dogs from to begin with, or the life they lead. SIL said she couldn't see this girl going to ANYONE but an excellent breeder because she gets the IMPRESSION that this girl is very picky about her dogs.

So I asked the main question, "Is Andre having any issues on this kibble?" The answer? No. Not at all. So wait, she's basing her opinion SOLELY on this other girls two dogs, which, incidentally, isn't cancer a concern in this breed, and... seven years considered old as is?

But wait! Her breeders dogs are living to about 13. I asked her what he was feeding THEM. Blue Buffalo... So... She's thinking about going to a corn-based diet, instead of keeping her dog on something like what she has, or, perhaps, Blue Buffalo, because of one other girls Wolfhounds lives? Sigh.

She started pointing out all the reasons that Pedigree had never caused any issues for her dogs in the past, and I mean, yes, SOME dogs do well on grain-inclusive, corn-based diets... And many also don't.

I simply said, "I've never owned a dog personally, that did well on a mass-produced food from grocery stores(Pedigree, Beneful, etc), and Charlie being my current dog with his own issues has proven that he does better on foods that exclude dyes, chemical preservatives and grains. Three seizures or more a month on a grain-based food... Or one seizure every four months, on a grain-free food... Naturally, I'll go with the food he does better on."

Then she goes on to tell me about how she had given her dog baby formula. HUMAN baby formula. Wait... what?!

"Well, it was close to expiry, so I didn't want to give it to my kids, so I mixed it into his food. I don't necessarily know if it was good for him or not, but I didn't want to waste it." ....

Has ANYONE heard of anyone giving human formula to a dog? Ever?

I apologize if I come off sounding judgmental. I'm not so much judging the food she wants to put her dog on, as her REASONS for it.

Granted, I'm also judgmental of the fact that she has A LOT of stairs in her home and from the deck to the yard that her dog is forced to go up and down constantly, AND a crate that is three sizes too small for him, that he can't even stand in, and is IN constantly.

Thing is, I don't really care what people FEED their pets, as long as they make an informed decision based on their pets best interests, and their income. However, I am judgmental about reasoning or refusal to be educated, or people judging me for making the best decision for my dogs because it's a more expensive one. I'm judgmental about OVERALL care, more than anything, and having seen the care her dog gets, for as much as she says she loves him... Sigh.. It's not the food that makes a good dog owner. It's the overall care they provide... And sadly, my in-laws(and even my own family), are less than stellar owners..

Still confused about the baby formula thing..
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:00pm PST 
People use baby food as a treat, or make treats out of it all the time.

Honestly. It sounds like she was trying to come up with an excuse to stop paying more $$$ for higher end dog foods.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:11pm PST 
Oh I know that... But this was formula... Powdered formula. Not baby food, lol..
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 4:19pm PST 
Human baby formula is no problem for dogs. I wouldn't sweat it at all. It does sound like she is trying to find a cheaper solution without directly saying it. It's tough buying food for a dog that eats 6 cups a day or more. I know I sweat the $20 per month I spend on my chihuahua food and they only get 1/2 cup of food per day.

Perhaps direct her to cheaper grain free solutions. Kirkland, for example. Or maybe show her how a local butcher will usually have dog grounds that are the leavings and expired meat that he can't sell to the human food market. Kibble is a convenient and brainless way to feed, but sometimes the easy way is not always the best way. teach her to think like a scavenger for the dog's food. Rather than sticking with a single brand, look for sales a week or two before the dog's food runs out, and switch over every month. Go to farmer's markets, join a co-op, there are all sorts of things that can be done to get a dog food even if you can't afford grain free kibble.
[notify]