GO!

New Habit of Angel's...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 8:54pm PST 
Angel's new habit seems to be "mowing the yard." She will go out and eat grass for several minutes, stop for a little while, then eat more grass. Is this usual? I know it is for a little bit like to settle an upset tummy. Is there a safer alternative that I could use?

Edited by author Sat Jun 22, '13 8:58pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 9:47pm PST 
What has changed? Her food? Activity, not getting the usual amount of walks and play time? People coming and going? Is she bored?

If she seems to have an actual tummy ache you might look into offering slippery elm bark. Mine is a nice smelling powder, mix ~1 tsp with about 1/4 cup water and let sit for a bit until all the water is absorbed. I smear a bit on Max's nose and after he thinks about it for a moment decides it helps and he will lap up some of it. In about 5 minutes he feels better. I tried it and it does take away some gas pain, not as well as GasX but better than nothing. Dr. Pitcairn has a much more elaborate and no doubt better recipe than mine, the recipe is readily available online.

If it helps then see if you can figure out why she has tummy aches. SEB is good for occasional troubles but shouldn't be used daily for long periods of time in case it inhibits proper nutrient digestion.

Dogs do just like the taste of grass though. One of the photos in Max's [or maybe Sassy's] page shows the two of them chowing down on new spring grass big time.

Since it isn't digestible too much isn't good for them, not really much different than eating short bits of yarn. My dogs never ate huge amounts and all that happened was interesting poop but it could wad together and be difficult to pass.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 10:33am PST 
She could also be chewing it for moisture. Firefly does this a lot, especially when we are at the park. She won't drink from the little water pump there, but she will nom some grass as a little refreshment (I always have her portable water bowl though).
[notify]