GO!

Feeding a dog with struvite crystals without rx food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Nonya

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 8:34pm PST 
My otherwise healthy almost 7 year old came up with struvite crystals in her urine last week. I also posted in the health section. She currently eats TOTW lamb formula. What kind of foods are best to dissolve these without resorting to rx food?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 2:52am PST 
I just added Vitamin C to Jax's diet. You might ask your vet about it. Good Luck!
[notify]
S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 9:02am PST 
We also added vitamin C to Starr's diet because our old vet suggested it. You may want to ask your vet about doing the same. Good luck!
[notify]

Nonya

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 2:29pm PST 
The vet told me to give cranberry juice but I got her capsules as they are more concentrated. I am also going to get some ester-c, which is a form of vitamin c. Oh and I'm going to switch her to distilled water. Sounds like there is not much else to do, besides maybe the berry balance. All the reading I have done is conflicting as to a high vs low protein diet. I think I will leave her food as is for now. Thanks!
[notify]
MAIZY

Things to- do--Places to- go!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 6:43pm PST 
For sure the protein should be low, around 22%. Dalmatians are known for UTI's and crystals, so we always have to keep the protein low, filtered water, foods low in Purines. You can find that online. Float their food if they eat dry kibble, the more water they get in them, the better way to go
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 6:05am PST 
Oh I feel your pain!
Both my guys had struvites crystals in their urine at around a year old. I did a month of the urinary s/o diet to dissolve the crystals.
I then did trial and error to find a food that would work.

Quin had sterile struvites, so no infection causing the cyrstals. Indie had an infection.

I tried GO, Wellness, Nature's Variety and found that the Nutro Natural Choice small breed adult and now have both on Natural Balance Venison (Indie also has a very sensetive GI and I have heard this diet is great and so far he has been AMAZING!)

I also supplement with Cranimals original.

I would stick with a lower protein (below 30...around 20-26 maybe) and try supplementing with some cranberry (whether it is pure juice mixed with kibble or wet food or a capsule/powder) I have heard of people adding the cranberry powders to their dog's water, but my guys did not enjoy that at all.

Good luck!
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 8:49pm PST 
Struvite is a normal component of a dogs urine, and only becomes an issue when urine PH turns Alkaline, or the stones create a blockage. Often times the way the urine is collected makes the sample appear as if there is a proliferation.
The majority of these stone issues in dogs are primarily linked to urinary tract infections (UTI), and are more prevalent in female dogs such as Cocker Spaniels, Shih Tzus, Lhasa Apsos and Pekinese, and male dogs such as German Shepherds and Bernese Mountain Dogs. Symptomatically these dogs appear with straining to urinate, blood in the urine, and frequent urination.

The struvite becomes an issue when the dog gets a urinary tract infection. This changes the Urine PH to allow the Struvite to proliferate, and possibly create a blockage.

Because struvite formation is linked to UTIs (somewhere around 90%, the rest are "sterile" struvite) and frequently a Urine Analysis does not show this, it is important to treat the suspected infection. Ideally a culture and sensitivity test must be done to ensure that the correct anti-biotic is prescribed. In many cases, due to owner reluctance or inability to finance these tests, the infection cannot be properly treated and therefore the condition may reappear. Sometimes the bacteria will also stay hidden in the bladder wall, and a culture will show up as negative.
So, if the dog has an infection, once the infection clears up, you are usually fine to return to a regular food. Many holistic vets use D Mannose as well for prevention of recurrence.

In terms of diet, it is normally recommended that dogs go on a dissolution prescription diet that has a low protein (to reduce urea), reduced calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. These minerals are what comprises the struvite stone. It also has higher sodium to increase water intake. Non-prescription foods are required to meet AAFCO requirements for nutrient levels, while prescription diets may be permitted to deviate for specific conditions. In other words non prescription diets do not meet the requirements of a dissolution diet.

Once the infection clears up, you may speak to your veterinarian about going onto a regular maintenance food, however if the infection has not been cleared up, the incidence of recurrence is high.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/art icle/animal-health/struvite-bladder-stones-in-dogs/5842
[notify]