GO!

New food suggestion for VERY sensitive tummies. We've already tried Blue with no luck :(

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Eliot

I'm a mommy's- girl

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 1:25pm PST 
When my girls were 2, I switched them to Beneful Healthy Weight because they were a little pudgy for their own good. In December of last year (they turned 6 this spring), I switched over to Blue gradually, took me about 5 weeks to fully complete the switch. I did this with every dog in the house as well as my mom's dogs. We are all trying to be healthier (dogs and humans), so we want something with more substance and "real" ingredients.

The problem was their poop never formed. It was oddly colored and smelled horrid. I even had to rush one of the girls to the ER vet because she had bloody diarrhea. cry

Does anyone have any advice, tips, foods they have tried? I know there is a variety of foods between Beneful and Blue. HOWEVER, I am VERY paranoid about recalls, etc.

Thank you!
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 1:48pm PST 
HTTP://www.dogfoodadvisor.com is an EXCELLENT place to start. Also, if your pups are having sensitivity issues I'd look into Wellness and Natural Balance's Limited Ingredient Diets. Very gentle on finicky tummies and very simple ingredients that won't be too rich.

Also, canned pumpkin helps firm up stools. smile

Here are some brands I like:

Taste of the Wild
4Health Dog Food
Orijen
Fromms
Acana
Canidae
Wellness
Merrick's
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 2:42pm PST 
Firefly gave you some good choices. Blue is sometime just a bit much for some dogs although generally a good food. I would suggest the Taste of the Wild if it's available in your area. It is not as high in protein and may be easier for your pups to handle. There are also some limited ingredient foods that might work as well. Not every dog does well on every food no matter how good it might be.wishes
[notify]

Rylee

Rylee

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 4:40pm PST 
Did you read my topic"Best foods for puppies with digestive issues"? My pup suffered, like your dogs did, on Blue Buffalo (the only dog food he's ever eaten). My vet said it was a protein issue. Blue Buffalo's crude protein is 36% versus the food he's on now EN which is 23-24%. I don't want to keep him on the EN because its Purnia. I used petfoodadvisor.com that several people recommended and its been helpful in comparing the crude protein %. We're going to try Fromm 4 Star Nutritionals first --- its has prebiotics and probiotics in it. Currently, he's eating the prescription food and has yogurt with every meal. He's as good as new!
[notify]
Eliot

I'm a mommy's- girl

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 6:21pm PST 
Awesome, thank you! I will look into all of this. Any recalls on these foods ever? I'm a tad obsessive about their safety smile I may worry too much! Thanks again, this is great!
[notify]
Titan

Goofyball of- love.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 7:04pm PST 
I started Titan on Blue for a while and Switched to Natural Balance as he was having horrid allergies to Blue ( runny poo, gas, tummy aches , ect.) I feed Natural Balance Duck and Potato and he does well on that and its pretty in expensive I'd talk to your vet bout possible allergies and I will hope the best for your puppies ( I call them all puppies even when they aren't its a habit)
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 4:34am PST 
Eliot unfortunately I don't think there is a single brand out there including Blue Buffalo that has not had at least one recall due to some issue or another. We can only hope that the manufacturers learned something from those recalls and are now more vigilant and careful. The same seems to be the case with healthy people food as well. Good luck and wishes on finding the right food for your puppy.smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 12:31pm PST 
I'm not sure where you are but you can try First Mate. It's a good dog food with decent ingredients, an average protein content and I can't find a recall on record. Believe me I checked. My dogs have done well on it and the grain free recipes are single source protein which makes ruling out allergies easier.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 8:37pm PST 
I would try a limited ingredient foods like Instinct LID, zignature or holistic select grain free (not lid, but fish based, high fiber and has probiotics/enzymes that help with digestion)
[notify]
Eliot

I'm a mommy's- girl

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 7:58am PST 
Thanks everyone! I'll add the recent suggestions to my list. I have been researching all of the suggestions and if we have any luck, I will post the results!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2