GO!

Wellness or Blue Buffalo?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stiles- Winslow- Taylor

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 2:38pm PST 
Hi everyone!

Recently my dog has been on Science diet dog food brand, I want to either switch him to Wellness or Blue Buffalo (I have heard good reviews of both).

If anyone had any advice in regards to either of these brands then I would greatly appreciate your advice!

Of course, if anyone else has other food brands that they think are great I would like to hear those as well! smile

Thanks everyone!

B.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 6:00pm PST 
this is a great place to research dog foods. Blue and Wellness are certainly better than SD but there are so many better than SD! wink

help with food reviews
[notify]
Stiles- Winslow- Taylor

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 7:28pm PST 
Wow, thank you so much! This site is amazing; I like how they divide food by canned and dry, a very good idea.

Thanks Tessie!

B.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 5:46am PST 
Just for informational purposes I have checked the ingredients and nutritional information on both brands you were interested in. They are very,very similar and both are excellent. Wellness in my area however is about $15 more per 24lb. bag. I would recommend either but check pricing and availability in your area. We use auto-delivery but sometimes need an extra small bag to make it between deliveries.

Your puppy is a sweetie!! Which part of his name do you prefer to use?
[notify]
Stiles- Winslow- Taylor

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 8:55am PST 
Ah thank you so much, yes I noticed that they both had similar nutritional value as well, it's just whether which one my family and I should choose. I didn't know that Wellness was that much more; interesting!

And he goes by Stiles, that's his first name and Winslow is his middle name smile

B.
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 2:55pm PST 
I've had my German Shepherd on both foods.

Wellness is a rich food. Lexi had a lot of runny poop when she was on that food. It's not a food I kept her on for very long.

I had her on Holistic Select for awhile, which is also made by WellPet LLC, the same company that manufactures Wellness, and she did pretty good on that food. While they do make a decent variety of bagged and can food to select from, those who stock it just don't carry a whole lot to choose from. It's also hard to find. The only place around me that sells it is Pet Supplies Plus. Price wise, it's pretty reasonable. You can expect a 15 LB bag to run you approximately $34. Cans will run between $2.30 and $2.90 depending on the variety and where you're buying it.

Right now, I feed Taste of The Wild. They have the best variety of bag and canned food I've seen thus far and the price is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 5:38pm PST 
Both, in my opinion, are pretty equal on the fields of quality and price. Of the two brands, Firefly liked the BB Wilderness more than the CORE version of Wellness. So, based on my doggie, we pick Blue Buffalo!

smile
[notify]
♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 6:32pm PST 
Wellness really ran RIGHT through me. I would never tell any pup to eat it - but it's all up to youmeditate

Every dog is different, but it didn't work for me - even when I was only 10!

My new sister, Cinnamon loves Blue Buffalo Lamb & Brown Rice so that is what I would recommendwavewavewavelittle angel
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 6:34pm PST 
We recently due to budget issues tried Taste of the Wild,in my area it is about $10 less for a 30 pound bag than it is for a 24lb. bag of Blue Wilderness. The two major things to note are:#1 ToTW is only 21-24% protein compared to Blue Wilderness and Wellness both being in around the 35%protein range. #2 ToTW did have a slightly larger variety of flavors. While I would certainly have appreciated the price break,my pups refused to touch the stuff and we ended up spending more in the long run. We bought the 30lb. bag of the bison and venison flavor and they refused that entirely. We also bought a 5lb bag of the Wetlands formula and they refused that as well. We are back on Blue and they are onc again enjoying their food.

Stiles- My policy as far as recommending foods has and always will be as long as it is a good quality food,easily available,fits into your budget,your dog does well on it and enjoys it- Go for it!!

As far as the more than 30 lbs. of dogfood mine wouldn't eat,both my neighbors and my sister have now seen the difference a good quality food can make. We split what our pups had leftover between the 2 families and already their pups are eating it,pooping less,and looking better and it has been just over a week.way to go
[notify]
Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 9:22am PST 
Both are great foods, as a lot of people have said! I personally really prefer Blue Buffalo. I have been feeding it since Desmond was a pup, and he has always done well on it. We have tried lots of other foods; Solid Gold, Natural Balance, grainy foods, grain free foods, etc... the only one he did better on was Orijen, but he didn't like it too much.
Your dog will kind of determine the type of food you need. For instance, if he is very active, energetic, or a growing large dog, I would recommend a very high protein count. Blue Wilderness has around 34% protein, which is awesome. I believe Wellness has a similar count. There are lower protein counts which may be better for a less active dog who is not going to expend all the energy from the high protein and fat contents of Wilderness and some Wellness lines.

I like to think as long as it's grain-free and has no poultry by product meals and other nasty stuff, it's probably a pretty decent food. I just know Des and I have always like Blue!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2