GO!

How picky are you?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:00pm PST 
So I'm used to dogs who eat everything on sight. Ava's my first, and she fits the "chow hound" stereotype, no question about it. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that she won't eat, including mud, socks, and tissues. She'll actually do tricks for tissues. That's how much she likes eating them. confused

As a puppy Nix was pretty much the same. But what puppy doesn't eat everything, right?

But after he hit 1 year I guess the invisible construction crew inside of him started work on the bridge that would connect his taste buds with his brain... It must be nearing completion. laugh out loud

At first he only refused things like fruits and vegetables. I like to share pieces of carrot and banana with Ava, because they're some of her favorites, so naturally I offer Nix some too. He would eat them at first, slowly picking bits off at a time just to be polite, but eventually he started refusing them altogether.

Last week we found out he will no longer eat milk bones. That's ok. I don't give them milk bones anyways. We only found out because the vet tried to give him one and he spat it out.

Later, over the weekend, I gave him a beef tendon. He chewed some pieces off, then left the rest. Ava happily finished it for him.

Tonight he added duck feet to the growing list of things he won't eat. After chewing off the toes and eating the webbing between, he decided he was done, and wanted no more to do with it.

In a way I'm actually glad he's become more picky. laugh out loud I get to save money on treats. I don't have to worry about him eating something he shouldn't, like onions (we had a scare with that once, though at this point I can't remember if it was him or Ava who ate the onion). As long as he doesn't decide to get picky about his food, it's all good!

So how picky are your pups? smile
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:52pm PST 
Mikey was super picky. Neighbors would offer him treats and he'd spit them out. Treats offered at the vet, he'd spit out. Any food I dropped on the floor he wouldn't eat it. Unless it was meat or dairy, but I had to pick it up and shove it in his face.
I had to doctor his food every single night at half the time after I put the goodies on top of his dry food, he'd go up and sniff the food, step away from the bowl, look up at me like, "is this it"?

Moose on the other hand will eat most anything. I've yet to have him spit any type of food out. He'll take any treat from neighbors and he'll eat anything I drop on the floor. He's my first dog who will eat... whatever. And if it's a thistle from a maple tree or a piece of decorative bark in someones front yard, mmmmmmm,mmmmmm, good stuff.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 6:23am PST 
Firefly doesn't eat the little rainbow colored biscuits they hand out at the pet store when we go. You could she say she is one rude customer, but I guess free samples are bad samples! laugh out loud Firefly just doesn't eat anything they hand her. She prefers jerky over biscuits, but the only jerky she will eat is Wellness, Zukes, and Yummy Chummies. And when people hand Firefly milkbones, she refuses to eat them.

She used to eat bananas too, but here lately she spits them out. shrug Oh well. I guess tastes change.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 9:51am PST 
Jewel is starting to turn her nose up at raw, I don't know where you go from there. shrug She will let Jem take it right off her plate, she doesn't care.

Is there a prize for the pickiest? Whatever it is Jewel doesn't want it. laugh out loud
[notify]