GO!

No idea what to feed my dog

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 10:06pm PST 
Do you think that maybe all this switching of food, especially with a dog known to have sensitivities is not helping?
[notify]
Jackson

Aqua Dog, supper- puppy to the- rescue!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 2:56pm PST 
I'm a big fan of Canine Caviar. They have two flavors with a grain (pearl millet) as well as several grain free varieties. The cost might seem tremendous but it is also a very high calorie content per cup, so you might not have to feed as much for your dog's weight and activity level. My dog has nice firm poop on it, and it's highly digestible so you should have LESS poop, too. If it's that runny, though, I think you are probably doing the right thing by seeing your vet.
[notify]

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:59pm PST 
I wish I could afford Canine Caviar. I raelly just cannot, and I couldn't afford the Blue Buffalo I got sold on either. It also doesn't seem to be helping even though I am stil mixing it with his previous food (Nutro Sensitive Venison). ALl the switching cnanot be good for him but I've done my best to mix slowly and when he reacts really badly to something I have to stop it. I am going to order some Perfect Form since I can't find it anywhere. Somewhow there must be an affordable food that my dog can do OK on. I am going to focus on Venson for now since so far thats been the best. Who knows if grain or no grain is the problem. I miss the days when canidae worked fine, or way back when we fed our family dog ken-l-ration and the neighbor's dog got Alpo.
[notify]

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 2:50am PST 
I had a similar issue with Skip... The breeder was feeding him Royal Canin but his stools were very soft and he was scratching and chewing his legs constantly...

Fortunately for me, money isn't an issue... I changed Skip and Dexter to Orijen and the results have been amazing... He no longer scratches and bites himself all day long and his stools are firm and easy to pick up and don't smell. Dexter isn't so gassy anymore and his stool is firm and regular. It turns out Skip had a grain intolerance and thankfully, Orijen cleared that up puppy

Also, remember with diet changes, it can be a couple of weeks before you see the desired results. His digestive system and sensitive stomache has to adjust to the changes.

I'll add too, that although high-end premium food is expensive to buy, it lasts so much longer than other lower-end branded food... I paid £70 (I dont know the $ equivelent), for a 14kg bag of Orijen but that was nearly two months ago and I still have a good month left before I will have to buy another bag!

Unfortunately, owning a dog with sensitive digestion and allergies can be more expensive...

Edited by author Tue May 14, '13 2:52am PST

[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 8:57am PST 
There has been a lot of bad hype about Blue buffalo but it is just that. I think it is a good food and feed it to my dog. I have however heard many bad things about TOTW and they just had another food recall, one of several. It seems to be a problem from the plant that makes it as they had to recall all foods made in this company and it isn't the first time. You should look at these sites

http://www.petsumerreport.com/

Another good site on facebook is
https://www.facebook.com/wholedogjournal

Good luck with your dog, finding a food that works and isn't recalled seems to be harder and harder these days.
[notify]

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:03am PST 
i´m buying pet food since 5 years in the online store zooplus. Not the cheapest but i think is cheaper than everywhere else. My dog is happy and healthy since he is at my place, and he like the food very much.

I also use a voucher code from zooplus, here i get 10% off.
http://www.voucherbox.co.uk/vouchers/zooplus
[notify]

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 11:13am PST 
I have been sticking with the Nutro Venison for sensitive stomachs since things got worse on Blue Buffalo Basic (turkey based). Yesterday I started adding some canned pumpkin which some people advised and its working. Aside from a slightly pumpkin color, his poop is definitly more firm. I think the problem may be solved. Nutru has had recalls as has TOTW and both have a Venison formula. It seems almost any brand is subject to that since if its been bought up by a big corporation they import some of the ingredients. Then you don't know where its coming from even if it says Made in the USA. Anyway, yeah Venison and pumpkin!
[notify]
Danya

A- species-appropri- ate diet is the- best!

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 1:49pm PST 
Orijen is the best kibble but more expensive.
Most of the cheaper grain-free kibbles are all the same; one or two meat ingredients, lots of starches, sugar and carbohydrates.
A balanced raw meat diet is best by far and among the cheapest, costing me about $2/day for a 65 lb Husky. Roger Biduk
[notify]
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 5:37pm PST 
I feed my 3 Earthborn Holistic grain free now, but in the past we have fed Fromm. Both are great foods and my Boston Terrier, who is very food sensitive, does great on these brands.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 6:55am PST 
I am very familiar with temperamental tummies! It sounds like your pooch has a very sensitive digestive system, and I think you are trying new foods way too fast. I'd stop feeding any kind of kibble, and start them on a four day, bland diet. For Firefly, I use a white rice, ground beef, and raw egg mixture when something is just too rich which I recommend for firming up stools (unless your dog is allergic to rice). The canned pumpkin is a marvelous idea, and find a probiotic to aid digestion.

Now, after four days, add the tiniest amount of kibble possible to the bland mixture. Keep doing this process until you've achieved firm stools and have fully cut out the bland mixture. This is how I've battled Firefly's tummy issues. Now her stomach isn't so sensitive and she transitions to new foods wonderfully.

I hope that helped! I don't think it is the foods so much bothering as the switching! Find something simple for your dog and don't overload his tummy.way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3