GO!

No idea what to feed my dog

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 3:36pm PST 
I fed Canidae All stages to my dogs for the past 15 years and all did great...until now. My 3 year old English Pointer mix got sick (wet yellow unformed piles). He was treated with Flagyl for an infection (no worms or parasites) and ate the vet's caanned sensitive food for a week. The vet thought he might be developing food sensitivies so since he had already been eating the vet's food I switched to Taste of the WIld grain free salmon. Maybe he is still adjusting to the food change but he is still gassy and his stools are still soft (though somewhat better and no longer yellow). I am just not sure grainfree is so great for a dog who seems to need something to firm up his poop. I wish I could afford to feed the best of the best but in these hard times just the switch from regualr Canidae to TOTW was hard. Any ideas? I wish I could just go back to regualr Canidae because all my other dogs did great on it but I am afraid to even try at this point. Help!shrug
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 8:12pm PST 
We had the same issue with Canidae, we fed it for years and one day Zoey had really bad diarrhea after getting a new bag. We originally switched her and our other dog Bruno to Acana but recently their prices went up to over 70$ for a large bag and is no longer affordable for us.

My two dogs do really well on Fromm Adult Gold and Large Breed Gold locally it is 42.99 for a 33 pound bag. You could also try a food from their Four Star line. If he is doing well on TOTW I would try keeping him on that as long as it is affordable for you. If not Fromm would be a good option. If you want to keep him on grain free but his poop is still soft on TOTW after about a month you could try Earthborn Holistics.
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 7:08am PST 
His poo was awful this morning on TOTW. I think I must be missing something with him. Now I am thinking one of these one-protein source foods. He hasn't adjusted to TOTW at all.
[notify]

Ginger

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 10:21am PST 
My dogs seem to do well on Fromm and Horizon foods. I feed mostly Horizon Legacy, Horizon Amicus, and Fromm 4 Star Nutritionals. They love the Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato. Horizon also makes a less expensive grain free food called Pulsar. My dogs do fine on that too. We don't feed the salmon formulas though because one of my dogs doesn't do well on foods with high amounts of salmon.
[notify]
Willow

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 1:35pm PST 
You mentioned possibly changing to one protein limited ingredient dog kibble. A lot of the pet food products have venison, bison, turkey, and fish as their one protein source and add a carb source of sweet potato, brown rice etc. Some of the products you could research are Wellness, Blue, Solid Gold, Nutro, Natural Balance,and Merrick to name a few. All products do not use by-products, corns, glutens and wheats. Willow eats Nutro Natural Choice Venison with no problems.
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 3:08pm PST 
Willow its funy you mentioned this option becuase it is exactrly what I just did. I bought Nutro Venison and Sweet Potato because he obviously was not doing wella t all on TOTW Salmon. My sister's Cairn terrirer has all kinds of proboems with IBS and eats the Vet prescribed Royal Canine Venison food. Its outrageously expensive and I know its not the best quality stuff but it works for him. My dog is 70 pounds (about 5 pounds overweight so cutting down on portions s also part of the plan) so I bought the Nutro hoping the Venison and Sweet potato would work for him too. I guess I will know my morning. I so miss the good old days when I could feed by dog "anything." Then I had a shepherd mix who couldnt' do corn, wheat or soy. No proboem. Fed Canidae for 14 years and the eat anything dog lived to 17 1/2 and the other till 15. Now I have a black lab mix who can eat anything...and suddenly have a dog with real problems where its much more complicated than just doing no corn wheat or soy. BTW, this dog was a very serious rescue case (North Shore Animal League made us read a book before adopting him).He takes Prozac and we work him behaviorally. We moved recently and he is LESS anxious here (more walks instead of just going in the yard and smaller house) but the water is different (well water). I can increase his Prozac dosage (it was lowered about a year ago because he was doing so well) but I really do not think this is anxiety. I think he developed an intolerance to something in dog food....jsut need to find out what.
[notify]

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 6:43pm PST 
Update: I have fed the Nutro Venison food---very light portion last night and this morning, and then 1 1/2 cups tonight. We just went on a LONG walk and he didn't poop! He doesn't seem gassy or uncomfortable so I am taking this as a sign that he is actually digesting! I am an experienced dog owner and always self fed my dogs but he had put on some weight so now I am switching to portion control. I wish I really knew how much to feed but I guess I will figure that out as I go along. I hate the idea of my dogs being hungry but want him to be healthy also and dropping 5 pounds (he is currently 73 pounds) would be good for him. Keeping fingers crossed!!
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 5:39pm PST 
Not having much luck yesterday and today. Maybe it will just take longer for him to adjust. Otherwise I think he may neeed blood work frown
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 10:44pm PST 
Drinking water is one of the easiest efforts for your dog's diet plan.There's no excuse for not drinking enough water, you recommended minimum 1 liter a day into dog's diet schedule, so please give clean and filtered water to your dog and to know about water filtration click here - [url=http://www.ezdia.com/epad/water-filter-reviews-information-wate r-filter-system/6864/] WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION [/url]

Edited by author Sat May 11, '13 10:45pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 3:03pm PST 
Out of frustration I went back to the pet store yesterday and bought some VERY EXPENSIVE Blue Buffalo Basic for Sensitive Digestion--no grain-turkey. He had some mixed with his food last night and this morning. I like that it has no rice fillers and is slightly higher in fiber than most brands. Then someone on another message board told me its a terrible company and recommended some even more expensive brands. I can't believe it should cost this much to feed a dog. I am going to get smoe pumpkin stuff to help firm things up. He doesn't seem sick, except his stools are sometimes not firm enough to clean up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3