GO!

Puppy food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Macee

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 12:09pm PST 
What is a good brand of puppy food i can feed my 11 week old Bichon Poodle?
I want something she will actually eat.. And what wet food can i give her that is good for her?

Thanks!
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 5:05pm PST 
I have had Hazel on Nutro's natural choice small breed formula since I brought her home. The pieces are very small and good for little dogs. She was also very picky when I first brought her home, and that was a food she would actually eat. I also fed her Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul wet food, which she LOVED/ and still loves.

She is 5 months now and I am going to put her on Merrick's puppy food, after she is finished with her current bag of nutro natural choice small breed formula. I have had a good response from her on the nutro, but Merrick is a better quality food for puppies/dogs.
[notify]
Macee

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 7:25am PST 
That is what i have Macee on but the puppy one.. She doesnt like it frown
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 7:55am PST 
Depends on what you have available in your area, but both Blue and Wellness are pretty easily found foods and have small breed puppy formulas.

If you have a Petco near you, there is also Merrick and Whole Earth Farms which also have good puppy foods, as well as Castor and Pollux which have Organix and Ultramix puppy foods.

If you can get, Fromm has a great puppy food, Taste of the Wild has a couple that are good, and of course foods like Orijen puppy are pricey by extremely good.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 2:30pm PST 
You have her on Nutro or Merrick?? If so my third suggestion would be to get her on the Chicken Soup for the puppy lovers soul.Hazel really enjoys the wet food, so I bet the dry food would be good to.
[notify]
Macee

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:07am PST 
They didnt have the chicken noodle soup one.. Its so weird she will eat the beniful for my sils dogs food. And some big cheap chunk one but she wont eat anything i give her.. I tried Blue Buffalo yesterday.. i guess i will go back today and find something else :/
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 9:00am PST 
Beneful appears more palatable to your pup because cheaper dogs food of lower quality are often times heavily doused with spray on fats and meal to make the kibble more appealing to taste. A higher quality food such as Blue Buffalo might taste blander to your pup than the Beneful. I'd try a stronger, grain free kibble like Nature's Variety. It's expensive, but the taste would definitely work. Or Fromm's food. Firefly can't resist their kibbles.
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 10:23am PST 
My dogs do well on Fromm and Horizon foods. Horizon makes a Legacy Puppy Food. I believe Fromm is all life stages. When my last 2 dogs were puppies, I fed them Nature's Variety and they did fine on that too.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 11:20am PST 
I would suggest using this website to choose a food: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

While the cheap food may be tastier to her it is filled a lot of bad stuff! I believe the first ingredient is corn, not even meat in the benefel. You can even compare ingredients on that website.

You could also try soaking her puppy food in water and microwaving it, I heard that releases the flavors and aroma, to make it more appetizing.
[notify]
Mya

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 1:14pm PST 
I have used both Nutro Small and Toy Breed Natural Choice and Ultra for my mini doxie who is now 5 years old and 10lbs. Mya has done very well on this product. She gets 1/2 twice a day and eats it all.

If you want to stay with Nutro products, you might try Nutro Ultra Small or Toy Breed Puppy. It5 is a blend of three protein sources, lamb, chicken and salmon, fruits and vegatables with lots of antioxidants, fiber and oils and nutrient dense. They work in conjunction which each other for a balanced dog food diet. You can go to the webiste and find out more info.

http://www.ultraholistic.com/puppy-food.html
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2