GO!

Shelf Life of Opened Bag

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 6:00am PST 
Ok, I totally goofed. I went online and bought Sam's food since it's cheaper there, and I went for a 30 lb bag, since that's the cheapest per pound. What I didn't bother to do before ordering was checking how long the food is expected to last based on how much I'm feeding him now. Well, after measuring his portions today I discovered that it would probably take about 90 days to feed the whole bag!

Now here are my questions. Can a bag of dog food stay opened for that long without going bad? Is there a better way to store the food once it's opened to give it a longer shelf life?

Has anyone else ever made this goof before? red face
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 8:29am PST 
Usually about a month would be the average estimation, but you can always freeze a portion of it and it will keep just like any food would frozen.
[notify]