GO!

Long term studies of Glucosamine?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 12:46pm PST 
My boyfriend was telling me, at least in humans, that haven't been any studies done on long term use of glucosamine chondroitin with msm because most people aren't recommended to take it until in their older years.

He knows this because at 25 he has been taking them for joint problems (he's very tall and runs a lot).

He intends to go through a bottle and then go without for the same length then repeat.

Does anyone know and have studies on what it does to dogs in the long term. Chaplin was recently started on and so was Baby but I don't know if I should do intervals or not.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 8:47pm PST 
Glucosamine protects whatever cartilage you have left. For example.. I started Nare on Glucosamine as soon as I brought him home at 6 weeks old and he has never had a problem with being sore / limping / anything. Granted, hes only 3 years old, but there are a lot of dogs that develop hip dysplasia before a year old, too..

I say, if you start taking it after you have developed a problem, then it is too late. You've damaged much of the cartilage and all you can do is preserve what little you have left, meaning if you go off of it then it will continue to break down. Glucosamine's effects can wear off in a week, so even a week off of it can cause the break down of cartilage again..

I personally wouldn't play around with it, especially if your boyfriend already has problems.
I also think buying the bottles are super expensive. We were buying the Kirkland brand-- which the dose is 1500mg, but to get that you have to have 3 pills. So when it said 270 pills, it would only last 90 days and not 270.
We now buy the powder and its soo much easier to not have to wrestle Nare to give him the pills..
We buy from here:
http://bio-alternatives.net
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 12:54am PST 
Is there a reason this site does not have a batch with all three common ingredients: glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM? Aren't they supposed to go together for best results?

Do you buy all three and mix them?
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 8:40am PST 
To be perfectly honest, I think you can get just as good of results if not better buy just including good, anti-inflammatory foods and oils in the diet.

Good Omega 3 and 6s are probably your best bet... fish oils... as well as other medium-chain fatty acids such as coconut oil. Olive oil (omega 3&6), chia seeds (high in O3s and a better plant source than flax), raw milk (what DOESN'T it have), and other beneficial food stuffs are also options.

I've changed my tune somewhat on G/C/MSM. I still use it, but I've cut drastically on my dosage of it in exchange for the previously listed methods. I do it all for maintenance, so I can't say for fact its working or not, but I've seen no difference in any of the dogs from dropping the G/C and bumping up the other things.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 9:45am PST 
How do you know the proper serving size for your dog to get the appropriate amounts of GCM and vitamins?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 3:41pm PST 
Could start out looking through dogaware's page on arthritis.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 4:47pm PST 
Thanks!
[notify]