GO!

Orijen - how much to feed?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 5:23pm PST 
Poor pup's been through so many foods already as I try to find the perfect fit for him. Started with Innova, but then the recall happened and I couldn't find it anywhere here, so I switched to Blue. He was doing alright in Blue, but not as good as with Innova. We ran out of Blue, and I managed to find Orijen in a boutique shop. It costs a fortune but he's doing really well on it! My question is this - how much should I be feeding? It's a better quality dog food than what I've been feeding, so I feel like it should be less, but I don't want to starve him. He weighs about 14 pounds now, as an adult will probably weigh about 35 pounds. I've been feeding him 1 cup a day - 1/2 cup per feeding. IS this correct, or should I feed more, you think?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 6:43pm PST 
It's a "know thy dog" kind of thing. My 70 pound gsd mix who is not overly active gets 1.5-2 cups/day. My 94 pound active boy gets about 3 cups/day. They're on Acana, which has a lower protein than Orijen.
Remember that guidelines are just that...go by how your dog looks. He should have a *waist when viewed from above, & you should be able to feel his ribs when you run your hands down his sides.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 7:49pm PST 
Diamond Naturals (chicken and rice) suggests I feed my 50 pounders 2 1/2- 3 1/4 cups each. They get 1 1/2 - 2 cups each. Sometimes they need slightly more, sometimes slightly less. If I were feeding based on the guidelines they'd be overweight.

I start with the guidelines and go from there. Dog highly active? Probably needs closer to the recommended amount. Dog a couch potato? Definitely does not need the full amount. It varies according to breed, age, activity level, temperature, intact or altered... Lots of variables to consider.
[notify]

Geordi

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 11:17am PST 
Squ'mey, perfect example of how it all depends on the dog. My dog is only 37 pounds and isn't too active (on average, no more than an hour a day of a combination of running and walking) and I feed him 2 cups of Acana a day plus toppers (sardines, whole eggs, pumpkin etc) and he has actually LOST a pound since I've had him on this diet. He is worm free and otherwise very healthy and happy. He happens to be naturally thin and very muscular and I believe just has a very high metabolism.

I would start with the recommended amount for your dogs size and increase/decrease slowly as necessary.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 1:18pm PST 
Hopefully you got the correct puppy formula for him, they have regular and one for large breeds. When my pup was on it, it was about 3/4 - 1 cup a day. I wouldn't go any more than a cup a day since it is very nutrient dense and doesn't have a ton of fillers like those other brands. Do the ribs check as someone suggested. If you are worried about cost, you could always switch to Acana which is made by the same company and is a little cheaper. Best of luck with your pup! blue dog
[notify]