GO!

Blue Buffalo

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Reka

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 6:36am PST 
I had a friend who gave me a large bag of Blue Buffalo when her dog developed allergies and she needed to switch away from it. I inherited and Brand new bag and was happy for it, because I wanted to try it. I put two dogs on it, and kept two dogs on a control bag of their former diet.

The two dogs on the Blue Buffalo did well for a month. Suddenly they are both vomiting, while the dogs on the Royal Canin diet are doing fine.

I would begin to suspicion it might be this bag or lot, but this is the second bag. My vet says Blue Buffalo has many protein sources which may trigger allergens. The more protein sources a dog has exposure to, those with a predisposition to developing allergies will have a higher risk of doing so on the varied protein source. He says I have two small a test population to develop any sort of conclusion. But it's curious that 3 dogs on this have now developed allergies within use of two bags.

Is anyone else having issues with Blue Buffalo?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 7:20am PST 
The whole "multiple proteins creates allergies" is a bunch of bupkis, sorry. That's just not how food allergies work in dogs.

The vast majority of what people consider "allergies" in dogs are actually just intolerances to certain ingredients, either because of the ingredient itself (IE chicken), or how its processed (IE fat being preserved in Vit E or various solutions that protiens are bathed in prior to processing in the food). Many of those are developed based on exposure, yes, but its usually because they've had too much of it for too long a period, not because they've just been exposed to a lot of different things. In fact, I would argue the contrary, a dog with higher exposure to many things has a BETTER immune system and higher GI tolerance.

If your dogs aren't doing good on the Blue, then its likely just the Blue. Switch off it and find something that works better. The Chicken meal in Blue isn't the same as Chicken meal in Orijen (just as an example), and switching to that food likely wouldn't yield the same results, even if both foods used similar ingredients.

Quality (not just of the food as a whole, but of the raw materials going into it) speaks for a LOT, as much as some vets and some people hate to admit it.

If you need an anecdote, Mulder absolutely CANNOT eat lamb-based kibbles. He WILL get horrible, sometimes blood diarrhea, and I've tested this on at least 4 different kibbles. He can, however, eat raw lamb (antibiotic free flash frozen with no preservatives) with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 7:21am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 8:50am PST 
I would be looking at the other ingredients as well as processes. I am not a fan of Blue myself but some dogs do well on it.
At a glance it has flaxseed, alfalfa and tomato pomace in it. All are common allergens in pets and people. However the vomiting as a sole symptom makes me think something other then an allergy.
For a relatively new company Blue has already had a few recalls, one due to melamine. One of the things I always look at in dog food is quality control, but that's just me and just my opinion.
As Mulder said just because one dogfood doesn't work doesn't mean a different one with similar ingredients won't.
[notify]

Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 11:52am PST 
Daisy Mae was on Blue Wilderness until recently. She did great on it. The only reason I switched her is because she has what I think/thought was seasonal allergies. They were bad this year all winter long, but we had a fairly mild winter the past two years. I switched her to Wellness Simple, the grain free formula because I am trying to eliminate anything that might have been exacerbating her allergies.
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 1:58am PST 
Lexi was on Blue Buffalo's Blue Wilderness line not all that long ago. She did well on it, for the most part, aside from some occasional God-awful smelling farts. But that's not why I switched her food to Taste of The Wild. I ended up switching foods because Taste of The Wild puts more money in my pocket, as it's a little cheaper than the Blue Wilderness line. If my financial situation hadn't warranted a switch to something cheaper, then I would've kept her on Blue Buffalo's Blue Wilderness line.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]