GO!

Feeding Q's

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Buddy

Throw the ball,- already!

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:12pm PST 
1) My dog Buddy is now a year old. I've been feeding him three times a day, but now I want to cut out the lunch and just feed twice a day. Is that okay?

2)How much should I feed at each of the meals, if I only did two meals a day? He's probably around 30/40 pounds, though I don't currently know his exact weight.

3)After he eats, before he poops, he always looks kinda.. Bloated. His belly is sorta round. Is this normal? Would it stop if I switched him to a higher quality food?

4)I've been wanting to switch him to a higher quality food, anyways. I've seen a lot of people say Taste of the Wild is a good food. Does anyone know where I could get some, and whether it's grain free?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:06am PST 
1: Sure. You can either straight-up cut out lunch, or gradually reduce lunch until you don't serve lunch anymore.

2: That depends on the food being fed, the activity level of your dog, his size, his age, etc. Start with the guideline on the bag and adjust from there. Most dogs do not need nearly anywhere as much as they suggest on the bags though. For example: Diamond Naturals suggests I feed my 50 pound dogs 2 1/2 - 3 1/4 cups. That is twice as much as they need. They get closer to 1 1/2 - 2 cups, depending on their body condition. Sometimes they get a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

3: Depends. If he's eating a large meal, it's normal. He could be swallowing air if he gulps his food. If that's the case, he needs to slow down.

4: Taste of the Wild has five formulas and all are grain free. You can usually find them at feedstores like Tractor Supply, as well as some pet stores (not Petco or Petsmart). You can get a location from their website: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/dealer_locator/
[notify]
Buddy

Throw the ball,- already!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:02am PST 
Thank you!!

Currently his activity level is pretty low, since I read somewhere that dogs shouldn't be excercised too much before two years old. So he just gets about an hour a day of excercise, with frequent 5ish minute walks to relieve himself.

Right now, he's just on some cheap food from the grocery store--my moms pick, not mine. That's why I'm wanting to switch him over to something better. I went on the ToTW website and found two stores near me that sell it smile

I do think he's eating his food too fast--It's usually gone just a sec after I put it down. I don't know how to make him slow down, though!
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:09pm PST 
Some people put a large rock in their dog's bowl (one big enough that can't be swallowed) and some companies make special bowls to help slow dogs down. I put some water in my dog's bowl. It helps a bit and she digests her food better that way. You can also use a cookie sheet (with edges) and scatter the food on there, or just throw it all over the floor and have him forage for it. I've done that a few times and the dogs always enjoy it.
[notify]