GO!

So exactly how much of the supplements in his kibble is my dog getting per meal?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 6:22pm PST 
Chaplin's Merrick's says 800mg Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Does that mean per cup? So if I give him close to 3 cups a day he's kind of getting a lot right? So I don't need to supplement it myself?

Anyone know how distribution of vitamins and supplements work in these foods?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:50pm PST 
That would be per kilo or 2.2 pounds. I don't know which food you are giving. If it is 125 grams per cup like many kibbles then you are feeding about 375 grams a day which would have about 300mg of each joint supplement. Likely not enough.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:58am PST 
Oh yeah, it says "800mg/kg"

I didn't quite get what it meant by that haha, thanks. So yeah, he's really not getting all that much...
[notify]

Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 1:10pm PST 
I think that determining how much your dog is getting using "natural" sources on food can be a bit tricky. Mostly good-guy bacteria breaks Glucosamine down, but since it happens in the bowel, absorption isn't great. Absorption is best when it occurs in the upper GI tract, rather than the lower.
The issue with relying on bones and cartilage is that so much is simply excreted, and there is no way to determine how much is being absorbed. This is because is bones are digested by bacteria in the bowel.
I would supplement..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212191
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 1:47pm PST 
How is the analysis of the food different from the analysis of the actual supplements? I hope they aren't just doing the same very rough estimation I did from a not particularly compelling source like this one
http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=17841
but have done their own analysis of the food.
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 1:03pm PST 
"How is the analysis of the food different from the analysis of the actual supplements?"

It depends on the source they are using, however any company that has the expression in the guaranteed analysis, would have to add that, at a minimum. The question here is more two fold I think. If a manufacturer is using naturally occurring chicken cartilage, the absorption is debated, based on where digestion occurs. For kibbles that add Glucosamine and Chondroitin specifically, although this is the isolated nutraceutical, the ability to add the required level is limited. Absorption is also better when coupled with a probiotic, to ensure a healthy gut.

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 1:04pm PST

[notify]