GO!

Not eating as consistantly

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Tallis

Named after the- Early English- composer

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:30am PST 
Tallis is 3 months old and a few days ago I started to notice that he wouldn't eat his morning meals when I gave them to him a few days ago. And last night he didn't eat his evening meal. His tummy has been growling and I know he is hungry but I give him his food and he just looks at it. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 8:11am PST 
What is normal for one puppy may not be normal for another and there are many different factors to consider,1. How many meals is he eating daily? How much at each meal? What about snacks and treats? Have you been counting training rewards you are giving and subtracting that ammount from his meals?
How active is he? All of these things as well as the quality of the food you are feeding,breed of puppy and expected adult size go into deciding what the right ammount to feed might be. Perhaps if you can give a bit more information I and others can help you determine if Tallis is eating enough or if there is some type of issue that needs to be corrected or dealt with. Bst of Luck. He is a sweetie!!
[notify]
Tallis

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 8:42am PST 
I feed him once in the morning and once before bed. I give him a 1 1/4 cups with each feeding and he normally eats it. And training rewards are maybe 10 or so a day of the 1/2 calorie treats. And he is very active! We go on 2-3 walks a day, after his morning potty break and before he eats, once around lunch and another around 5 or 6 depending on the day. The morning walk isn't that long, maybe half a mile, but his afternoon/evening walks are between 1-2 miles. And we play in the yard and we fetch, but he also likes sleeping, he is still a pup after all! And I am feeding him Blue Buffalo Naturals and I am supposed to be feeding him 1 1/2-3 cups a day according to the bag. I hope this helps and thank you for the advice!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 4:40am PST 
That does help alot. The guideline on the bag is a guideline. Even my big boy Kai at 120 pounds doesn't eat the ammount of Blue Buffalo recommended on the bag. He is a fairly active adult but even as a puppy only ate about two-thirds of that ammount. Tallis might be in a slightly dormant growth stage and just not need as much right now,try cutting him back to around a cup of food twice a day and see how he does,as long as he remains healthy,active,and is gaining weight,don't worry,if his appetite picks back up you can always offer a bit more. That's the funny thing about good quality foods,they really do seem to satisfy the pups needs more on less food. He sounds like a healthy ,happy,active puppy,so I wouldn't worry that he isn't eating the ammount the bag says he should,he is eating what his body tells him he should to be healthy. He is a very handsome boy,and I wish you all the best with him.flowers
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 9:44am PST 
Welcome to having a husky!! They get awesome food mileage way to go

This sounds pretty normal to me and I wouldn't be too concerned. Puppies in general are pretty good about self-regulating their food intake - they won't eat more than they need. I know some breeds are the exception to this, but usually huskies only eat what they need. He might be going through a slow growth period and not needing as much food.

Also, its getting warmer and that really messes with Ava's appetite. If its too hot out, she won't eat for a day or so, and if its just moderately warm, she'll usually skip a meal or just pick at her food.

On top of all that, huskies really don't eat much. You can leave food down for him so he can eat when he needs to, or he can just "tell" you when he's hungry. My girl rarely ate more than once a day when she was a puppy, but if I really really got her exhausted, she would eat all that I'd give her. Now I've totally given up on morning feedings and its perfectly normal for her to skip dinner too, especially if she's been lazy most of the day.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 5:49am PST 
Thanks for the input Ava. I was hoping a husky person would chime in. Akitas are very similar with more mileage to the feeding.way to go Being a very similar type of breed I have found alot the two have in common but also differences,so I always hesitate a bit when offering advice to husky owners and will happily defer to them when a husky question arises. I too feed my pups on their schedule. I put down the ammount of kibble typical for them in a day and they decide for themselves how much of it to eat and when. Warmer weather does affect food intake as does daily activity level and slowed growth.

Tallis- As the weather in your area gets warmer,you may find he likes to eat very late at night or in the wee hours of the morning or will skip eating or eat very little because of the heat. It is perfectly normal and not something to be concerned about. We gave up feeding times with our Akitas at around 6 months and just put down their kibble for the day,they could then eat when and if they chose. We simply refill the bowl when empty. It sounds like that may be an option for you. I would have suggested it earlier but as I said above,Akitas and Huskys are similar,not the same breed and I hesitate to give any solid advice about them without the input of a Husky person who knows the breed far better than I do. hugwishes
[notify]
Tallis

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 2:31pm PST 
Thank you both so much! Tallis is doing well and growing like a weed! But the vet says he is growing at a normal pace. I love my little moo cow big grin
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 3:25pm PST 
I do not know if this is true...but I heard that when puppies are going through a growth spurt they tend to eat more. So maybe his growing has just slowed down for a little bit? Has anyone else heard about this?? I notice at certain times of the month Hazel will even eat less, or she will be a bottomless pit.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 8:38am PST 
Hazel- I don't think there is any hard and fast rule that applies because some breeds will just eat and eat until they make themselves sick,then eat again. However,in my experienceand I am 48 and have been around dogs and puppies my entire life,most puppies will self-regulate and not eat as much when they are in a period of less growth,or as mentioned above temperature,activity level,and other factors can affect how much they eat on a given day or at a given time. As long as the puppy is growing normally,seems happy,healthy,and is able to be as active as they want,there is no need for concern.wishes
[notify]
Rambo

Rambo & Fancy CC- littermates

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 1:34pm PST 
Mine were driving me crazy. First I wasn't used to a dog only eating 1/4 cup food twice a day, LOL, have always had big dogs before.

They got tired of the BB after 2 bags and I switched Fancy to Merrick (Rambo has his Rx food) but I've started to relax about them skipping meals. At 7 months every day or so one of them will only eat a couple bites of their food. If they are still gaining weight I wouldn't worry.

Have fun with your puppy!!!
[notify]