GO!

Alternatives To Acana.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Zoey

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 4:24pm PST 
Hello everyone! Zoey and Bruno currently eat a rotation of the different varieties of Acana. I usually spend about 60-80 dollars every three weeks for a 28 pound bag. Money is really tight right now and dog food prices having been going up in my area so I am looking for some comparable foods that are less expensive.

The only requirement is it cannot be made by Diamond. I would prefer grain free but if the food is good quality, less expensive, and they do well on it I won't mind feeding grains.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 4:49pm PST 
Now, Go!, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Innova, Fromm
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:02am PST 
Horizon Legacy is a very good food. It is also somewhat similar to Acana. My dogs do well on Horizon foods (we usually use Legacy and Amicus). Fromm is also a very good food. We use Fromm in our rotation also. The Fromm grain free formulas are pretty close to the price of Acana, but their grain inclusive 4-Star formulas are more affordable. My dogs LOVE the Fromm 4-Star Duck and Sweet Potato formula.
[notify]

Ginger

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:06am PST 
Another food you might look into that is also made by Horizon is their Pulsar line. It is a single protein source grain free food. You might also consider NutriSource. They also have some affordable grain free formulas.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 1:27pm PST 
Castor & pollux natural ultramix indulgent recipe

Nature's variety Instinct Raw boost

both are above 35% protein
[notify]
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 1:30pm PST 
My 3 eat Earthborn Holistic and they love it. It is their favorite kibble ever. Locally, it is $38 for 28 pounds and they offer $3 off coupons each month.

ETA: I feed grain free.

Edited by author Tue Apr 9, '13 1:31pm PST

[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 6:31pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I will look into those foods and see which one is the best for my dogs and affordable. Lucy Belle Earthborn is really cheap where you live! It's 55-65 dollars here. Also sorry it took so long to reply Bruno had a seizure late Monday night, he has never had one before and hasn't been himself until today. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him so we are just watching him and documenting his behavior.

Edited by author Thu Apr 11, '13 6:32pm PST

[notify]