GO!

Grain free and hungry all the time

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 4:21pm PST 
I think I may have asked this before, but my pups are on natures variety instinct due to gluten/filler intolerances and my other pup has food allergies and systemic yeast (we think). I try to stay away from dog foods with sweet potatoes because my pug itches more with them. My issue with instinct, which they've been on for over a year, is that they are always hungry! I'm even feeding them more calories than I did before. My pug has even lost weight in the last year. I love natures variety because their skin and coat is better but I am tired of their begging and acting hungry. Are there any gluten/filler free foods of equal quality that may have more fiber to keep them full?
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 4:50pm PST 
You can try adding green beans or pumpkin, however the jury is still out on whether adding fiber creates "fullness". I have seen research on both sides. Some breeds of dogs just don't have the mechanism that tells them when they are full. Have you tried a treat ball? Some people find it effective, as it slows down eating, allowing the food to settle in.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:00pm PST 
It's both of my dogs though, 13 lb pug and 45lb mutt! They didn't get this hungry until I switched from natural balance to instinct :/ I've heard the suggestion of getting the bowls that slow down eating. They eat in like 30 sec flat!
[notify]

Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:24am PST 
I like adding pumpkin to their food every now and then for a little extra and it seems to satisfy them. And They Love It. Just take an ice cube tray and full it with canned pumpkin and put it in the freezer. Then you'll Have perfect sized Little chives To pop out and put in their dishes. All my pups are on nature's variety instinct also. When we first switched, they seemed hungry too and lost weight but it's faded out now. They are more toned now and obviously healthier than ever. Good luck.
[notify]