GO!

Tips for Slowing a Speed Demon - Speed eating and gulping.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 11:41am PST 
After being a stray a couple times before coming home with us Sassy was frantic about food. Very late in her life I finally figured out if I was calm it helped her be calm. While I like food puzzles and scattering food and feeding from kongs just fine you could also try hand feeding slowly. Use the doggy zen technique with a handful of kibble in a closed fist. Calm dogs get fed and grabby dogs don't.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 10:34pm PST 
We have a Boxer that was a frantic eater as well. We started to use a special type of dog bowl that has raised pillars in the middle which forces the dog to eat slowly. The link below is a bowl designed to slow them down, they have all kids to choose from. Just search around, amazon has quite a few to choose from

http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fast-Food-Slow-Feed-Bowl/dp/B000PE30 MQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1365139789&sr
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 5:13am PST 
Hazel, I just bought something similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Dogit-Slow-Anti-Gulping-Black-Medi um/dp/B0032GG5Z8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

(when you copy and paste it remove any spaces before hitting enter to go to the web page).

I have used a particular bowl for quite some time and it slowed me down a little. I inhale...I mean I don't even chew. Mom bought the dogit slow anti gulping bowl and it has slowed me up even more. It took me a good minute and a half to eat a half a cup of food. Little pieces get between the grooves which means i have to get it one at a time. way to go
[notify]

Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 1:09pm PST 
Slow feed bowl 100%. I got the healthy eating anti-gulp bowl from amazon. And I love it. He eats much slower and has less gas. He eats on par with the normal eater now.
When we are traveling I fill the bottom of a regular bowl with water.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 11:09pm PST 
Dogs don't chew like humans do. Their teeth are designed to crush bone and tear muscle. Not to grind (side to side motion of teeth like cows). The crushing and tearing is only to get the food small enough to fit the esophagus. The acidic digestive system does the rest of the work.

So, technically, a dog will have no need to chew on kibble. The crunching motion on bite-sized kibble is merely an instinctive action. But, because of the structure of kibble, dogs tend to gulp in a lot of air if they gulp their kibbles.

I've used a few ice cubes in the food bowl to slow down a gulper before and it worked because the dog tended to eat around the ice cubes before finally crunching up the ice to finish off.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3