GO!

Grass?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Snow,- Poochon- Angel

You say naughty- like it's a BAD- thing!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 6:29pm PST 
Some dog owners say grass is healthy, others say it is bad. Some say dogs have grass when they're sick, others say it makes them sick. I'm not sure which to believe. Snoopy eats grass without getting sick but Snow would always get an upset stomach when he ate grass. Does it depend if one dog has a stronger immune system? Just wanna know because I'm not sure about dogs eating grass (:
[notify]
Mr.Maxy

No Pet Motto

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 9:20pm PST 
Dogs commonly eat grass, and there are LOTS of explenations that have been offered for this behavior. One, wild canids (e.g., wolves and fox) eat all of an animal when they catch it. Since they eat many herbivores (plant-eating animals), they end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were in the intestines of these animals. In addition, they have been known to eat certain berries and other plant material. Dogs then, may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their diet.

Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. Did they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It is a mystery, but it seems that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach.

The third reason - they just like it. Some dogs have certain species of grass or plant material that they will search out and eat. We know a beagle who can pick raspberries faster than his owner.

In any case, grass eating is basically a normal behavior, and is not of concern unless your dog does it excessively

SOURCE: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=21+1276&aid=1139

Edited by moderator Mon Apr 1, '13 4:39pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Mya

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 11:22pm PST 
Good post Max, you covered all the bases on the grass issue. I have had both dogs and cats eat grass and it does not hurt them.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 4:17am PST 
Max, you're aware that copy and pasting someone else's work without citing the source is considered plagiarism?

Source of Max's post
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 6:47am PST 
One thing I just read and always suspected is that treated grass is bad for dogs and linked to lymphoma, I am sure cats would also have problems. And if you grass is sprayed then eating it would be bad. I think many of the skin issues dogs have might be linked to chemically sprayed grass.

I have a chemical free lawn, and it looks like it,LOL but I know it is safe for Hoss to graze on as he loves to eat grass.
[notify]
Snow,- Poochon- Angel

You say naughty- like it's a BAD- thing!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 6:48pm PST 
We have a hose that is made out of lead but we don't use it on our grass. Our grass is chemical free but it would give Snow an upset tummy. Snow never got allergies or skin irritations so I am still not sure but thank you for the help Mommy knows a little more about grass! thinking

Edited by author Sun Mar 31, '13 6:49pm PST

[notify]
Mr.Maxy

No Pet Motto

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 7:07pm PST 
Oops, I am very sorry and I mean it. Mommy was in a rush and found that website helpful here's the source link:

Mommy's Source

Next time I promise to be more careful and showing my sources.

Love,

Max and Mommy Nicky
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 9:19pm PST 
I'm sure it depends on what and how much. Soph is very selective, there is a certain type on one or two house lawns we go by daily and a few clumps at the reservation. I don't know if she's licking or munching but she'll graze for a long time with no ill effect.
Mr. Man on the other hand...the other morning he came in from the yard-I was at work-but they tell me he wouldn't eat and they were concerned...Callie not eating would normally warrant calling the emergency vet...he ALWAYS eats.
While they were looking at him he coughed and yacked up a huge clump of grass, then belched and made for his food dish. I think as long as there aren't pesticides and they don't make pigs of themselves it's kind of like a salad bar.

Edited by author Mon Apr 1, '13 9:22pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 12:20am PST 
Dogs would usually turn to eating grass if they have an upset stomach. Somehow, grass helps dogs vomit and this is because a dog's stomach lacks the necessary enzymes needed to break down grass.

Although grass may have different effects on other dogs, most vets don't really see any harm in letting dogs eat these things. In fact, grass may even contain important nutrients that a dog should have that he couldn't get from those commercially-prepared dog food humans give them.

I've seen dogs frolicking in the gardens and eating grass. One time, I even noticed a dog seemed to be sneezing. I don't know if it worked because I didn't stick around to find out, but I'm assuming it works.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 1:33am PST 
Shadow and Bud never eat grass, Sabi grazes like a cowlaugh out loudShe never gets sick from it, and has never had a problem. I don't know why she does it and it really never concerns me. I just assume she either likes it or needs it.shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2