GO!

Good grain free no poultry food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 7:01pm PST 
Hi all,

I'm thinking Chewy could have a food allergy to something in his food. After he eats his second meal in the afternoon he starts licking a dark rash he has on his stomach near his thigh and he will pant and have some drool built up around his mouth.

I'm going to try to get my dad to take him to the vet with me asap, but everyone in my house is currently sick except for me.

He's had reactions to eggs in the past, whenever he's eaten them he starts throwing up afterwards. So i'm thinking he could also be allergic to the chicken in his food or possibly the grains.

We have a new organic pet store in town and they have some brands like taste of the wild and orijen, which I have heard are great foods.

I didn't look at the pricing there, we were in in out in a couple of minutes just to get a harness so I wasn't paying attention to the dog food.

I'd like to avoid poultry and grains to see if it is a reaction to one of those. So what would be the best option other than chicken and other poultry?

And what is the price range and size bag of the food?

Thanks

Edited by author Tue Mar 26, '13 7:02pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 7:30pm PST 
What about Earthborn Holistics? They have a recipe called Meadow Feast, looks like it's egg/chicken/grain free- Earthborn

I really like Earthborn and I feed it to my dogs. The other three grain free recipes from them have chicken or eggs though frown. it's also a little harder to get as they don't carry it in Petco or Petsmart. They carry it at Pet Supplies Plus by my house. If you email them they will send you coupons!
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:15pm PST 
California naturals venison variety or fish variety, nutrisource pure vita grain free salmon. Those r two I've tried. I feed raw Stella and chewys now but that may be expensive for a big dog.
[notify]

Chico

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 1:31pm PST 
You should definitely check out Orijen Regional Red, it's made using only red meat and it's grain free.

a 5lb bag usually costs around 21-24$
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 2:49pm PST 
Thanks for the responses.

I think we are gonna go with Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato that they sell at Costco where we usually buy the Chicken and Rice food. We can get a 35 pound bag for 30$.

I've heard a lot of good things about it here on dogster, so hopefully Chewy will do better on it and his annoying rash will go away.

We might end up switching the other 3 dogs as well.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:07pm PST 
Just make sure it doesn't have chicken fat as a preservative. I hope it works for u!! Sandy is allergic to chicken and grain. Give it a full month to notice a change. If the food doesn't help Your dog may have environmental allergies and u can have a test done at the vet. It could also be a combination of food and environmental allergies. I hope its food because u can't really do anything about environmental allergies except more baths maybe.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 11:15pm PST 
Keep in mind that natures domain is made by diamond which has serious quality control issues (they just had another recall recently). I would go with something like nutrisource (they have a grain free line) or victor
[notify]
Mya

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 10:57pm PST 
There are a lot of good grain free choices in the marketplace today. You might try Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free dog food formulated for dogs with food sensitivities. 0% grain, gluten free and contains a limited number of ingredients with a single protein source such as venison, fish, turkey and lamb to minimize digestive issues. One of my dogs did great on it.
[notify]
Rosie

Living Scruffy- and Loving Life!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 8:04am PST 
I personally feed Nutrisca. It's grain free and 2 of the flavors (Salmon/Chickpea, Lamb/Chickpea) do not have any grains or chicken in them.
It's a bit more cost effective than Orijen as well.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:36am PST 
Sparkles has poultry, egg and grain allergies also. We are on a rotation between nature's variety instinct salmon meal formula and wellness core ocean. Both are excellent, grain free foods and not as expensive as Orijen (though I would feed that if we could). Her allergy issues have really subsided though she still gets an occasional ear infection which I blame on seasonal allergies. She no longer scratches her face like she used to our bites at her paws like before.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2