GO!

Can My Dog Eat This Cat Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:15pm PST 
I got a cat food that might not be working out and I'm wondering if its ok to feed it to the dog. The brand is "Diamond Naturals Indoor for Hairball Control".

Anything bad for a dog in the ingredients?

Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, powdered cellulose, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, egg product, fish meal, sodium bisulfate, choline chloride, dried chicory root, methionine, potassium chloride, taurine, L-carnitine, yucca schidigera extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein Minimum32.00%
Crude Fat Minimum14.00%
Crude Fiber Maximum8.00%
Moisture Maximum10.00%
Ash Maximum6.50%
Taurine Minimum0.10%
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:37pm PST 
Dogs and cats have very nearly the same nutrition requirements. Cats need more protein and fat and less of a couple minerals. You cannot feed dog food to cats for long but it is okay to feed cat food to dogs.

I would be fine mixing that food 50/50 with a regular dog food to use it up as you can mix an unbalanced food such as a topper of scrambled egg with balanced food 25:75 just fine and this one is likely extremely close if not just fine for dogs.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 9:20pm PST 
Thank you Maxwell, that's good to know...I was feeling so guilty about the amount of catfood these dogs munch, but guess food is food...they'd both be perfectly happy if we traded in the kibble for catfood full time.shrug
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 3:34pm PST 
Yeah, I laugh at my friends and relatives when they say feeding a dog cat food will give them kidney damage because of protein. The food I'm feeding right now is a 38% protein food and it's formulated for dogs. There's only slight differences in mineral content between dog and cat food. But cat food is required to have taurine in it, while dog food is not.

When I first got Foxxy, we were giving her purina cat food because that was what we could afford at the time. She was given to us by the SO's mom, and at the time ,we were living practically on ramen noodles so we weren't eating any better. Heck, the dogs still eat better nutrition than we do. They get duck and ocean fish. We get pink slime value chubs and frozen genetically modified chicken and pork. I have to say, it's a strange world when the dogs get complete nutrition for an affordable price, and the humans have to get junk just to fit the budget
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 9:52pm PST 
I also feed my dog cat food sometimes, particularly the fish varieties as I cannot find fish kibble for dogs anywhere! The only thing to watch for is that your bigger dogs don't choke on these tiny pieces.
[notify]