GO!

Switching dogs off of Bentiful, suggested brands? Question about Beggin Strips.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:00pm PST 
I switched to from Science Diet to Wellness Core Ocean Formula Grain Free and my dogs have done very well on it. Maintained their weight, shiny coats and less shedding. They both weigh around 80# and eat 3 cups a day and only poop once a day because of no by products so their bodies use almost everything they are eating. Like others say a top quality food costs more but you do save in vet bills.

Good Luck on your scearch I'm sure you will find a food that works well for your pets.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 2:42pm PST 
wave Roscoe, I did the same thing. Sonja has bad allergies so the vet put her on Science Diet Z/D Ultra...but her coat just wasn't getting better. so I got a copy of all her allergens from her blood tests and did my own nutrition research.

She (and the rest of my pack) are on a mix of "Wellness - Whitefish & Sweet Potato" and "Organix - Salmon (Grain Free)."

Its been like night and day...Sonja's coat is no longer dry and lack luster...her nose isn't dry and crusty anymore...and no more dandruff or itching. The cost of the right food is well worth it!
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 6:14pm PST 
We feed 4Health after switching from Purina Pro. It is sold at Tractor Supply and costs $30ish for a 35 pound bag.
It isn't the "best" dog food out there, but it is corn free and seems much better than what she used to get with Purina.
We've seen great results in comparison to Purina- better coat, less stomach issues, fewer ear infections.
We really liked reading the reviews on Dog Food Advisor to help us decide. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/4health-dog-food-dry/
[notify]

Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 6:12am PST 
I don't usually feed any treats except liver I make myself but I do like Zukes and the cat love natural Balance rabbit treats. I never give any rawhide as I almost lost my last dog to it from choking. I buy organic liver and boil it and then stick it in the over and bake it at 200 until it is dry, then cut it up and use it as training treats. Hoss will do almost anything for a liver treat and it is so much cheaper then buying store bought treats.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 2:25pm PST 
wave Good luck on the switch!

I have trouble affording certain foods. It wasn't so in the past, but hard times can happen to anyone. Generally speaking, I shop at PetSmart for Sandy and Sweeney's food (the rest of the dogs are my mother's, so she buys their food). I look for sales, which is easy since I have Pet Perks. Normally, I buy Blue Buffalo which is decently priced. Occasionally Wellness or Innova will be on sale. Sandy didn't do so well on Innova, but Sweeney is okay on it. Both of them love Wellness. There's, also, a new food at Wal Mart that is cheap and halfway decent called Pure Balance.

As far as treats go, I'm of the belief that treats - in moderation - are just treats. I don't give brands like Beggin Strips often. It's a very rare thing in our house. But occasionally I may. Normally I stick to Blue Buffalo treats, though. As the dogs love them.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 2:35pm PST 
Premium foods usually are fed in lesser amounts, so they are not so very much more expensive.

I suggest made in America dehydrated meat strips, chicken is very popular in our house. The better stores carry these and they are less expensive in the large size bag. Alternatively you can dehydrate meat yourself in the oven set on very low or preheat.

Zukes make great treat. The Minis are especially great for training treats.

Beggin strips, Milkbones, pupperonis, etc. are not good at all. Fake colours and everything. There are good biscuits out there too. And biscuits are very easy to make, as well, thus very cheap.
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:11pm PST 
Canidae is a good affordable one that you could start off with, and no I wouldn't reccomend beggin strips, even as treats. I personally prefer pure meat treats. I buy some liver for the grocery store and dehydrate it(boil it, chop it up and bake at 200 degrees with the oven door propped open for 4-5 hours till it's crunchy.). Dogs prefer it and it's a lot healthier.

Edited by author Fri Mar 1, '13 11:12pm PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 7:54pm PST 
As other posters have said, you do end up paying more for a quality food but, in the end the dogs need less of it, and you wont end up at the vet for anything food related.
It is a very good idea to get off Beneful, definitely not a good food, so good choice switching.
Blue Buffalo is a great food, and is found almost everywhere I have seen (pet stores etc) and it's really not crazy expensive.
I feed Acana, however I am not sure where your from, and I know some people have said it's hard to find, but Acana has great ingredients and is around the same price as Blue Buffalo.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 12:41am PST 
Beggin Strips are "MADE IN CHINA". Please do not give your dog any more of these. Just do a quick search on the internet and see why. I used to give my dogs those chicken strips for years. Suddenly, one year my 6 yr GSD got sick and died of leukemia (I swear it was the made in China poison treats). My dogs love the treats I make with liver, chicken or any other human grade meat.
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 3:37pm PST 
I agree...Nothing from China for any furs. That's where a lot of the inexpensive kibble is made from imported flournaughty

Sonja I'm pleased to hear you are doing good on Wellness toobig grin
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2