GO!

Switching dogs off of Bentiful, suggested brands? Question about Beggin Strips.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 11:08pm PST 
My family's four dogs currently eat Bentiful. I was wondering what a healthier, but affordable, alternative was? We have a 10 year old yorkie, five year old poodle, eight month old CAviler and 3 month old American Eskimo puppy (she eats puppy food, but does ocassionally steal a bit of adult food).

I was also wondering if Beggin strips are okay for dogs? I've read of recalls of other treats by the same company, but have not heard anything in regards to these treats. My family's dogs get about 1/2 a beggin strip a day when they are crated.
[notify]
Moxie - my precious- angel - 1

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:51am PST 
I used to give my dogs Taste of the Wild which is reasonably priced and a good food. My three get Earthborn Holistics now. It is not cheap but I think I save a lot in vet bills by feeding them a better food.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:54am PST 
There are many dog food brands out there that are of a higher quality, but appear more expensive.
With these higher quality brands, you will feed less as they have a higher nutritional value per kibble. So in reality, you are paying more, but you are using less so it should nearly even out.

If you've got a Costco nearby, Kirkland brand I have heard is a good food for a budget.

As for Beggin' Strips, they are mostly comprised of corn and sugar from what I remember. It's sort of like a "chocolate bar" for humans. It's a treat that likely tastes quite good to the dog, but has little to no beneficial nutritional value.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:37am PST 
Good cost saver brands:

Fromm Classic, Whole Earth Farms, Canidae's chicken formula, 4Health (Tractor Supply only), Kirkland Signature & Nature's Domain (Costco only), Diamond Naturals, Walmart's new "Pure Balance".

Of that list Fromm is far and away the best in terms of quality product/company. Next I would go with Whole Earth or Canidae. The remaining ones are acceptable if you don't have access to the others.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:12am PST 
Healthwise is another fairly inexpensive food that includes grains. You can also try Pulsar (by Horizon) or Hi-Tek Naturals for low cost grain free. A couple other brands to look into are NutriSource and Precise.
[notify]
Reno

Not all Service- Dogs are tall

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 11:38am PST 
Ultimately you get what you pay for. There's no way a company can provide you with human grade ingredients sourced in the United States and manufactured in a clean well kept facility for less than $1 a pound retail. However, if you want to get into a decent holistic with only a few not-so-great ingredients here and there through the product line, look at Natures Recipee made by Del Monte. It's the least expensive of the decent quality foods, I would feed it myself (and I am picky as heck). I don't feed it, I feed Blue Small Breed adult because of the cold formed chelated vit/min bits in the food and the companies lightning fast responsibility when there has been any question about their food. All US sourced ingredients except the lamb which is from New Zealand, the company keeps 2 inspectors on their production line for every batch made and it's a privately owned brand not corporate.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:14pm PST 
I would say look at castor and pollux. It's available at lots of grocery stores, even whole foods and I got some at pet smart the other day so if you're looking for something that's available and reasonable. They have good food. we lke the ultramix and the organix lines.

I wouldn't worry about nutrition with dog treats. It's nice to have healthy treats, but if you want to be healthy, they might like carrots or apple slices much better and treating with veggies is cheaper than beggin strips. A treat is dog candy, and should be thought of like that. If I remember right, there's a lot of sugar and salt in beggin strips. It's not the healthiest thing out there, but in a day and age where milk bones are safer than the premium treats like dried chicken strips, it's your call. Treats aren't as "well" regulated as food.

ps Reno, Nature's recipe still uses menadione in their food. It would be good except that menadione bisulfate is a nasty thing.

Edited by author Tue Feb 26, '13 12:22pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:04pm PST 
I am pretty sure Beggin Strips ARE one of the China made treats and, as such may contain ANY number of poisons considered to be preservatives. Fomaldahyde used to be big for preserving dog food until people started realizing what fomaldahyde really IS.
As a result of these chemicals it really doesn't take too many of these "treats" before the chemicals have built up in your dogs liver or other organs and can cause a major issue or, yes, even death!
My dogs DO NOT get Beggin Strips, Greenies, Bonz, or any of the other "fake" natural treats. They DO get RMB's, vegetables like raw baby carrots, cheese pieces, beef or chicken boiled and cubed, etc. I consider it much safer and something I can easily provide. They natural food treats are also MUCH cheaper than those fake ones!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:14am PST 
You're right to switch your dogs of Beneful if that's what you mean. It's an awful food with corn and byproducts as the top ingredients. By-products = beak, blood, bones, and anything else! It's rated one star by petfoodratings.org which will also help you find a suitable food for your dogs.
[notify]
Reno

Not all Service- Dogs are tall

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:44pm PST 
ps Reno, Nature's recipe still uses menadione in their food. It would be good except that menadione bisulfate is a nasty thing.

Yep, like I said, there are a few not-so-great ingredients still in the line, but that's why the price is lower than say Blue, Wellness, ToTW and the other top premiums. You do get what you pay for.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2