GO!

RAW FOOD DIET AND AGGRESSION?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 7:18pm PST 
I know all of the positives and negatives regarding the RAW FOOD diet based on what "researchers" and "experts" say.

I would like to know first hand personal experiences with any NEGATIVE EFFECTS from the diet such as changes in behaviours with dogs.

I know all of the benefits and good aspects of the diet and have heard many testimonials. I would like to hear about any NEGATIVE experiences people may have had with the Diet.

THank you smile
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 7:34pm PST 
First introduction to raw yielded some resource guarding issues. Reevaluating how they were fed and switching up how things were handled eliminated those problems, all dogs are fine with their food being handled now.

No other aggression issues to note.
Eldest male GSD is actually trained in protection work, there is no difference in his level of aggression being on raw vs. being on kibble (he is extremely stable either way smile ).
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 8:28pm PST 
The only negative thing i could think of was having to teach my dog how to chew food. It was a tedious process. But he had to learn how to chew again after being kibble fed probably since he was weaned from his mother.

For a while during the last year do to money issues I had to go back on kibble for a while and it was all down hill with my dog's behavior. When put on kibble agian he was hyper, his breath stank and he was smelly dispite bathing constantly with "deodorizing" shampoos and conditioners. He was also way too "Sparked" all the time.

back on raw all these issues cleared up.

But excluding the whole learning to chew thing I haven't had any changes in jake's behavior. My dog is pretty passive all around unless anotehr dog comes when he's eating. and they have to come in terms of bothering him. But that also was the same about kibble. But i cna put my hand in his bowl (both with kibble and raw) and i can hand feed him. (kibble ad raw) he's not aggressive towards me or anyone else anymore so then when on kibble and even then there was pretty much zero aggression.
[notify]

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 8:48pm PST 
I honestly can't say anything bad about it other then that we got a bit of food guarding, however I solved that with a bit of training. It makes sense that it would happen though. for example if someone came up to you and asked for a slice of bread (Kibble) you'd gladly give it to them however if someone came up to you and asked you for your $50 lobster at a high class restaurant, you'd be wayyyy less likely to give it up without a fight. laugh out loud And the small thing that when I once ate a rare stake she barked at me once which she never does because she thought it was her's and I was eating her dinner. laugh out loud Though that's the only two downsides among fifty other good things, so it's defiantly worth it! I recently am taking a small break from feeding raw so that I can build up a bunch of raw and I don't keep accidently running out, and I remembered how much I hate kibble! Even though it's good quality kibble, she's driving me mad with way to much energy, her breath smells like something died, and she's lost muscle. At meal time she just looks up at me with this sad face like "Were's the good food mommy? I don't want this stuff!" laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Feb 23, '13 8:50pm PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 8:59pm PST 
Saya has never resource guarded food from me I can freely take it she has a lot of trust in me.

Raw diet doesn't cause aggression it can cause resource guarding which dogs will do with high value items even resource guard spaces too..

Bella used to resource guard wet dog food not too bad just eat very fast and act tense.

With raw she was same way. She knew drop it and leave it so I worked with her slowly and set her up to succeed I didn't just all sudden grabbed the food and take it away all sudden.

I traded for the items she got tiny bit of boneless or liver and then she got the meal back. Eventually she would drop it and leave it on command.

Good book for this is Mine!
http://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical-Guide-Resource-Guarding/dp/09 70562942/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328913609&sr=8-3

I don't have much negative with raw I guess prepping the meat and portioning out as I like to individually freeze items to make it easy so I can take 3oz or 6oz of boneless meat or 1oz of gizzards instead of thawing items each time.

It pays off in the end so I don't mind the work it's worth it plus having chest freezer means I don't have to do it all the time usually I get a lb or two of things and done..

I've gotten two 15lbs of things to portion out before took two days portion one 15lb let it freeze up then do the other 15lb..
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:02am PST 
I used to do raw diet from 1990- 2004. I never had an aggressive dog. I left the raw diet and still do not have aggressive dogs.

I think aggressive dogs is caused by genetics, environment (training or lack of), breed tendencies (which I believe can be over ridden by training and environment if started soon enough), and/or medical conditions
I don't believe diet affects aggression

I have an English Springer Spaniel, who has latent tendencies to be aggressive. He tore off the face of Tuck when the spaniel was 4 months old, requiring 10 stitches to Tuck's face.

The vet labeled the spaniel with English Springer Rage. I saw it happen. It was sudden, and violent, and out of the blue, but It definitely looked like a resource guarding event, and NOT a neurological event. So we immediately went to work on resource guarding behavior.

We work on this issue daily as ongoing tolerance maintenance. Is it a problem now? No. Was the issue because of diet? No.

IMO, raw food, or any diet, has nothing to do with aggression unless there is an underlying medical condition, and dietary imbalance
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:04am PST 
My dogs only guard their food from the other dogs. I have had zero issues with aggression when it comes to raw food in my three dogs.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:27am PST 
and only then, your dogs guard their resources from other dogs because you allow it. It's not caused by diet.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:47am PST 
Tuck-I don't think anyone is saying that the aggression is caused by what's in the food but the fact that it's higher reward. IE comparing kibble to raw is like comparing a plastic bead necklace (Kibble) to a diamond ring (Raw) you'd tend to want to guard the ring and let the other go without a fight. Therefore some dogs might not mind if you take their bland kibble away, but would food guard if you tried to take their yummy fresh tasty raw away.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:29pm PST 
I've been thinking for the past 10 minutes and I cannot think of any negatives to feeding RAW.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3