GO!

How much fish oil capsules to give?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:23pm PST 
I'm wanting to switch both my dogs to human grade fish oil capsules....how many should they get per day? thinking

Lizzie is about 5-6 pounds, but with the fish oil pumps, I always give her an extra pump and she seems to do well on that.

Rain is around 60 pounds.

I tried looking it up, but couldn't find any information anywhere. Thanks!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 1:17pm PST 
I go by the suggestions on dogaware. Look on the bottle for how much dha/epa or whatever the pertinent fatty acids are and how many caps per dose. The ones Max is taking is very concentrated and has more than 400mg combined in one but some are 300mg combined per 2 caps or less. If the ones you see seem too strong you can just offer them every few days or squirt a little into each dog's bowl too. I recently found out that either soaking a cap in water for a couple hours or microwaving in a cup of water softens up the gel cap enough so I don't get squirted as much when poke a fork in it. Max won't eat them anymore, I have to squirt the oil in his food.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/supplements.html
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 7:01pm PST 
Hey there, you want to look at the EPH and DHA levels in the fish oil, those are the amounts that actually count. Our Goldens are taking 1000mg (EPH/DHA) once a day, I open the capsules with a needle and squirt it on their raw food. They also get fatty fish such as sardines once a week.
I started opening the capsules as I noticed that they did not disolve easily at all, gross!
[notify]