GO!

Anyone else sick of the food reps?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:11pm PST 
I mean come on.

Its one thing to have an opinion, regardless if anyone agrees with it, but coming here just to move product?

Something about that seems inherently unethical.

And lets be real. "Na don't feed that brand, X BRAND is clearly the best and we have studies and lots of lines and yada yada yada."

Gets old.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:10pm PST 
I think it's more irritating when food reps go to a store but are dressed like they are an employee of said store when they actually don't work for the store. Then they hang around the food isle and ask customers if they need anything and try to sell people on a certain brand of food. Seems like a really sneaky way for food reps to talk to customers. confused

On an other note, I once had a food rep try to sell me on a type of food that I had just told her my dog didn't do well on in the past. shrug

Edited by author Sat Feb 16, '13 9:16pm PST

[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:25pm PST 
Yeah, they're obnoxious. On another forum I visit there is this one dude who insists that Dr. Tim's is the BEST food for every dog. And if it's not Dr. Tim's, it's some other sleddog kibble because the "professionals" use it and any food that's not a sleddog kibble is highly questionable, especially foods like Acana/Orijin/EVO/Nature's Variety/etc. He is quite annoying and is always causing problems with the other members.

There is a Blue Buffalo rep who is often at the Petco in my town. I have told him multiple times that I've got no interest in trying out Blue Buffalo (since I've got a big backlog of kibbles already purchased and waiting) but he keeps telling me I should do it yadda yadda yadda.
he also keeps tying to "make friends" with Conker despite him being clearly afraid of the guy. He'll follow me around as I browse and bug me and my dogs about being their friend and trying out Blue Buffalo.

Edited by author Sat Feb 16, '13 9:26pm PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:26pm PST 
Haha I had same issues with food reps.. I usually Say my dogs are on home made diet thanks if the lady keeps pushing me on the brand..

Bella is on kibble, but Saya on raw, but best way to avoid too much hassle for me is say both dogs are on home made because if one was on kibble I'm sure she'd keep pushing.

I'm fine with helping someone out and giving samples and saying why the brand is good, but to be forceful isn't good..

Luckily my local pet food doesn't have food reps the employees will help a owner if they need it like find a kibble that doesn't have beef or chicken etc.
Sometimes it can be hard as some kibble has chicken somewhere.
[notify]
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:09am PST 
Last time I ran into a food Rep at petco, the guy offered me a job as a Rep because I knew what I was taking about lol. He was for blue Buffalo but I explained why I only feed nature's variety instinct and he even said how I should keep feeding it. Still tried to push a few products but I he gave up lol.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:52am PST 
I am fortunate, when I do shop commercially I usually go to smaller local owned stores where there are no reps.

Interestingly enough, though, one only decent human being who works at the local Petco is a Nutro rep.

I've talked to her quite a few times, she's a big homeopath and has even lent me some books. Shockingly, she doesn't feed Nutro wink

At least there's some transparency there, though. Vs a forum like Dogster, where people come here and post anonymously (or disguised behind the faces of their pets), trying to push their product. Its annoying confused
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 12:57pm PST 
I'm fine with it if it's a good brand of food. For example, if someone came up to me raving about how awesome their bags of corn are, I'm going to get a little ticked off. If someone comes up to me telling me about how amazing their food is that's actually amazing, I'd be happy to talk to them, and possibly buy a bag/can for the cats. However what I'm not fine with is people being pushy, a trying to talk to me about the perks of your food is fine, however trying to force me to get a bag is not. I once had told some who I would assume is a food rep about how I fed raw, therefore I wasn't going to switch to their food which was horrible quality for a ton of money. (I did it nicely) Then she switch from just nicely telling me about their food, to telling me how I was going to kill me dog with raw and how their dehydrated corn in a bag was sooooo much better than the fresh foods I feed. She kept going on and on and on no matter what I said, so when she pulled the last string I just stood up said "I'm sorry, I don't believe in feeding my dog something that's going to kill her, I think I'll go on caring about my dog if you don't mind, and only feed her the best, have a nice day!" And walked out. laugh out loud
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 3:57pm PST 
In defence of some fellow Dogsters..saying "all food reps are bad/food pushers" is like saying "all dogs of breed X are bad." Certainly there are folks with agendas, but we have some long time members who do not hide the fact they are reps, but don't push their brand. They might come into a discussion to defend their company, but I can't blame them for that.
One member totally helped me out when my attempts to get answers from a company went unanswered. She went above & beyond & got me the answers I was looking for. I totally appreciated her effort. She never pushed the company on me, and validated my concerns.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 4:27pm PST 
I know who you are talking about Squam, and that's not who was on my mind when I made this thread.

There are those here who are painfully obvious with what they are doing... or perhaps not, which frankly is the problem I am having with them confused

If you're going to come here and do that crap, at least be honest and explain you work for the company who's food you're pushing.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:33pm PST 
I've had good and bad experiences with food reps. I work in a Petco so I'm around quite a few of them. Obviously they're all just trying to do their job but some do it much more obnoxiously than others. I've found the best way to get them to leave you alone is to tell them you feed a raw diet. It certainly made the Science Diet rep shut right up anyway. The Blue Buffalo reps in our store have been hit or miss. The first guy was super nice and unobtrusive but the woman we have now I don't much care for. The Nutro guy is really nice as well but he seems to deal more with shifting products around than interacting directly with customers.

Since I run the training classes at my store I need to keep on good terms with all the food reps because they supply me with goodies to give away to my students (samples, coupons and such).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3