GO!

What kind of food and how much for a 6.5 lb puppy?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Wee Girl Pup

I need a name!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:09am PST 
What kind of high quality puppy food would you recommend? And at 7 and a half weeks, she was about 6.5 lbs. Is there a chart I can trust that will tell me how much to feed her? Or should I just go with what the dog food bag says confused?
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:32am PST 
I personally like Royal Canin and think it's one of the highest quality brands out there (I know many people on here strongly disagree). But there are other good brands out there, but I would only trust the ones that do research and trials on their foods, and that have extremely good quality and safety protocols.

Here's a link to a list of questions that are good to ask pet food companies to see if they are a company you can trust, along with a number of company's answers: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-food/pet-food-company-survey-20141/. It's pretty interesting to read. You can judge for yourself which one you think is best.

As for feeding amounts, most feeding guides base this on the puppy's target weight as an adult. You said your puppy is 6.5lbs, but how big will she be full-grown? Also, each food is different, so a "general" feeding guide could be very wrong depending on the food you're feeding. I definitely suggest going by the bag's feeding guide since it's meant specifically for that food. But remember that it's still only a suggested amount on the bag - depending on your dog (because every dog is different), you may need to adjust a bit. It's a good idea to get you puppy checked out by the vet a few times as she's growing to make sure she's on track with her weight.
[notify]