GO!

Tomato Pomace and Food Allergies?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:08am PST 
Does anyone else's pooch seem to have an issue with tomato pomace? We're thinking that tomato pomace might have been causing Lily's stomach aches. The only common ingredients in the last couple foods that she was on were lamb and tomato pomace. We don't think she has an issue with lamb, but I don't doubt that she could.

Also, in the past, Lily appeared to have an issue with barley and wheat but now she doesn't. Not sure what's going there. Can dogs out grow out of allergies?

Update: Barley and wheat still don't appear to be an issue. We originally suspected barley and wheat because the vet suggested it at the time because it was in treats she reacted to at the time and barley was the only common ingredient in the foods she had the worst reaction to at the time. Glad we can cross wheat and barley off our list of possible food issues for Lily.

Edited by author Tue Jun 18, '13 5:26am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:47am PST 
A friend's Golden definitely had issues with it. He would get bad staining on his feet and would itch a lot.

They put him on a rotation of the California Naturals flavors and I think a couple of other brands, and he did much better.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 11:21am PST 
It's possible your dog is allergic to tomato pomace, but it's possible she has a sensitivity/intolerance to something else in the food as well. It could even be the lamb. It might not even be an allergy or sensitivity to an ingredient at all. Perhaps she isn't easily able to handle the food due to poor digestibility of the ingredients. Or maybe it's not the food at all, and she has an underlying health condition that affects her digestive tract. I would get your vet to help you rule things out, and if it does turn out to be allergies, do allergy testing and/or an elimination trial to figure out what she's allergic to.

Dogs, like people, don't grow out of allergies, they can only develop them after they've been exposed to the ingredient. The reaction could become less severe if you move from food that has a poor quality source for an ingredient to a food that has a high quality source of the same ingredient (some poor quality proteins are high in histamine which make the immune response to them more severe). But if your dog is no longer reacting to any foods that contain wheat and barley, it was probably something besides the wheat and barley that your dog was allergic/sensitive to (or it was another issue altogether). The truth is, food allergies in general are rare in dogs, and wheat is not that high on the list of common food allergens.

Again, I think the best thing you can do for your dog is to check it out with your vet to find some definite answers that could help your dog's stomach aches as fast as possible. Playing around with different foods will probably just leave you more confused and could leave your dog in pain for longer.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 12:55pm PST 
First of all, my dog is not in pain, after changing her food the stomach aches went away. The vets have all told me that the stomach aches were probably from anxiety or a food allergy. I was looking back at the ingredients in the last couple foods to try and figure out what could have been causing an issue if it was an allergy/intolerance so we could know what to avoid and to try an elimination diet later on.

In the past if she had anything with wheat in it she used to lick her rear all night and now she doesn't. shrug

Edited by author Sat Feb 16, '13 1:06pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 1:37pm PST 
She used to get mucus coated stool whenever she had anything that contained barley and now she doesn't. shrug
[notify]