GO!

Changed food now gas :(

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Cookie

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:47am PST 
Started Cookie on TOTW. Then there was a huge recall and couldn't get it. Switched him to Earthborn Holistics (grain free) and he did good on it. Didn't love it but ate it without any problems. Recently I decided to try to go back to TOTW because it was less expensive and the store closer to me carried it but not Earthborn Holistics. He did not like TOTW this time and just wouldn't eat it. Because EH is only sold at a store farther away from me I decided to try something different at my close feed store. The employee recommended By Nature (grain free). I tried it, he likes it but now he has gas. He burps a lot and he toots some pretty stinky toots. Now what??? Will he get used to it and the gas will go away or is it pretty much going to stay that way? I did introduce it gradually and his poops are still firm. Do you have a suggestion for a food that doesn't cause gas?
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 11:11am PST 
It may take a little time for him to adjust. On the other hand it might never really agree with him. You'll have to try it for a little while to see if it gets better. You can try giving a spoonful or so of plain yogurt for awhile. Or you can try a probiotic. Some people suggest plain pumpkin too. We had pretty good luck with the plain yogurt when we were "experimenting" with new foods.
[notify]
Jack

Jack - Cofounder of- Jackboy's Dog- Bakery

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:57am PST 
Oh Cookie! Just in case you need to explore new food for Cookie, here's a really good non-bias review site a lot of my customers go to. It's www.dogfoodanalysis.com

We have found some suggestions on how to prevent dog flatulence as well that we put together since it's such a popular topic. Hope this helps. hamster dance

http://jackboydogbakeryblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/how-to -prevent-dog-flatulence/
[notify]