GO!

Best food for terrier puppy?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:35am PST 
I bring baby Skipper home on March 1st... He's a Parson Russell Terrier and the breeder is currently using Eukenuba Puppy food.

I'm fine with that but I was wondering if anyone else knew of a food that is great for terriers?

I don't know too much about different brands of food but I do know that Skipper will be on premium food, just like Dexter... but with Dexter, it's a bit easier...

Eukenuba for example, have a food specifically made for Jack Russell Terriers but as Parsons are a little different, I didn't know if that specific food would be a good idea?

I guess I just need help with feeding a terrier shrug

I'm open to any suggestions and they will all be greatly appreciated smile
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:46pm PST 
Congrats on your new little guy! smile

I have to admit I’m not a fan of Eukanuba, and pretty much think those ‘breed specific’ foods are just a marketing ploy, and kinda a rip off.

I think you are in the UK? I’m not sure what brands you have available over there, but I would look for a good quality puppy food without meat by-products and grain fragments. Personally I had good results with Wellness Just for Puppy and California Natural Lamb and Rice (the puppy formula) when Abbey was a pup. At about a year old I switched to a grain free food (and then to raw.) If you have a grain free puppy food available to you that’s fine too. It’s a myth that higher protein is bad for growing pups, it the calcium/phosphorus ratio that’s more of a concern, particularly for large/giant breeds (hence Large Breed Puppy formulas)- really with any good quality puppy food you should be fine.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 8:13pm PST 
I'm pretty dubious of the breed specific foods. Aside from a few breeds like Dalmatians that actually have unusual dietary requirements, most dogs need pretty much the exact same things in their diet. I agree the whole kibbles for specific breeds is a marketing tool.

Eukanuba isn't a food I'd feed. From what I've heard, it used to be much better quality than it is now. Like Abbey said, I'd just look for a high quality puppy food with good ingredients and not too much calcium.

Edited by author Wed Feb 13, '13 8:23pm PST

[notify]

Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:16am PST 
Hi guys,

Thanks for getting back to me puppy

Dog food in it's high quantities confuses me so much so I appreciate your help...

I did feel a little the same about Eukenuba... I was considering a Dal puppy and in that case, Eukenuba worked... I've read a lot of posts on here but unfortunately, the UK doesn't seem to have the same variety of food as the US :o/

I'll take everything you said on board (I've written it down BOL) and am going to take a trip to our local Pets At Home store and see what I can find that fits the bill and isn't mass produced to the extent of Eukenuba puppy
[notify]