GO!

chronic yeast infections on skin

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:24am PST 
Well, I've discovered since Maddie has gotten older and especially in the last 2 years since we have moved, she has had a skin yeast infection almost constantly. I am tired of the rounds of antibiotics and steroids that I know are dong more harm than good. I've started her on probiotics, enzymes,and omegas. I just bought the stuff to bathe her once a week in DERmagic shampoo and apply the topical lotion. My question is food. She was eating Instinct Salmon but I switcher her to limited ingredient turkey a few weeks ago. I am now reading that the tapioca is bad for dogs with yeast. I've found lists of yeast friendly foods..but am confused because almost all of them have grains, potatoes, or fruit. Is Instinct my best bet or is there any foods that you guys have found that won't cause yeast? I am almost thinking that I need to make her dog food myself!
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:52am PST 
My dog Bella battles yeast infections too. In all the reading I have done on the subject one thing that stands out to avoid is potatoes and sweet potatoes. Some articles did not rule out grains, but only once things were under control. Bella did well on Nature's Variety Salmon, but only the Salmon. We tried a lot of dry foods for her, but she also has food allergies. We are currently trying raw for Bella, not going great...she is super sensitive. If Bella was smaller I would cook for her because I think she could handle that better than the raw. Before we started the raw we were going to homecook, I made a week long balanced diet and then went to the store for prices, 274 for one month. Since I have several other animals that was not feasible.

The whole dog journal has a good article about yeast and I found a lot of food info in the Great Dane Lady's website. It might be worth while to look at some of their products for healing this from the inside out.

Bella made a turn around after we finally did one month of Ketaconazole. We do bathe her with a ketaconazole shampoo but only in the spots where she has major problems(feet). Bella also takes a long list of supplements, but she has a long list of health problems to go along with it.

Edited to add: did your vet do a skin scraping to confirm yeast? We did not treat with antibiotics or steroids unless there was a secondary infection going on, Bella does horrible on antibiotics(never taken them past 5 days) and well we always try to avoid pred if we can.

Edited by author Fri Feb 8, '13 9:59am PST

[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 10:43am PST 
She just got off two rounds of Ketaconazole and took a turn for the worst as well. The vet did do a skin scraping and confirmed yeast, she didn't say anything about a secondary infection. Also, she's had so many yeast infections I know what to look for. She's now starting to lose her hair in spots and her whole tummy and underarms are black. I had her on the salmon for about a year since I heard good things about dogs with yeast infections, but she didn't do any better on it. I switched to turkey because she's never had it before and it's more limited ingredient. When I tried chicken and lamb before she didnt do so good, but also they weren't good brands and it may not have been the protein source causing the problem. Since it's just my pug that suffers from the yeast (my other dog is just gluten intolerant), I probably could afford to do homecooked or raw. I just don't have a lot of time or space in my fridge/freezer and found kibble was easier for me.
[notify]

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 10:48am PST 
Oh, also I did look at the great dane lady and the nzymes website and found the active ingredients in most of their products. Then I went on amazon and bought them separately which ended up being cheaper. Since I just started the enzymes and probiotics I think I will give that a try with the LID Instinct (also because I have two 13lb bags)for a few months. I did find this http://homemadedogfood.com/yeast-starvation-dog-food-recipe/ Yeast starvation diet that you can feed for 3-6 months that is just eggs, beef, and two supplements that is supposed to wipe it out. Just don't know what to feed after that!
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 11:04am PST 
Poor Maddie. Have you had her thyroid checked? Bella was also hypothyroid, I have read a lot about how a lot of yeasty dogs are also hypothyroid. Bella's hair did not start to come back until we started treating that.

If you can find the time I would really try homecooking. I spend about 2 hours a week portioning and setting up my dogs and cats raw meals. I have 4 dogs and 2 cats. I use to supplement 25%of their diet with homecooking and it took me about 30 min to prepare it and get it stored. I currently have to go by the butcher weekly for the meat because I too have a tiny freezer, just a normal size top bottom. Another dogster told me about the website nutritiondata.com and it is awesome for balancing your dogs meals. Also head to the raw diet forum and get the diet balance spreadsheet if you haven't already.

I hope the supplements and diet you have going now works great and Maddie is able to get some relief. I know how frustrating it can be. I don't think Bella's yeast problems were ever as bad as you are describing Maddie's but I have seen some pretty awful cases working in the veterinary field. hug

We also added Apple Cider vinegar to her diet, I can not say what did the trick but it seems everything together works for Bella. We still have to treat topically with ketaconazole or micazole, not daily but weekly.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 11:36am PST 
I have started the ACV as well, only been on it a few weeks though. I am looking at Honest Kitchen, Nature's Variety, or Ziwi Peak freeze dried raw instead of doing it myself. I understand that it is better that I do it myself, but with my schedule and trying to prepare healthy foods for myself, the easier the better for me right now. I don't want to see her suffer though, so if I have to cook myself I will. I just got so confused when looking at that break down of %s. Have you heard of anyone using the freeze dried?
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 12:42pm PST 
If time is the main issue and not money, freeze dried could work great too! We tried honest kitchen but Bella did horrible on it, plus it has potatoes in it. Ziwi peak is way out of our price range...but if this raw thing doesn't work out we are going to try Grandma Lucy's Pureformance. They have rabbit, goat, chicken, and lamb. I think the fewer ingredients the better, and that is why homecooking is easier because you control everything. Homecooking didn't work for us because of money, but I am a SAHM so I have the time, I spend 3-4 hrs every Sunday making meals for my husband to take to work because he can spend days at a time at work without coming home, and we can not afford to eat out that often.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 1:01pm PST 
I might try some of NV Instinct's raw items. They aren't nearly as expensive as HK. Also, I can sub one meal kibble one raw so that will help some. The raw will help boost enzymes in her stomach. They also have a raw boost which is kibble with raw. Money is def an issue, but I'd rather sacrifice something than see her miserable or waste anymore money at the vet! Thanks for all the pep talk and info! Greatly appreciated!
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:27pm PST 
I sure hope Maddie feels better soon! Penny had chronic yeast infections of the skin and I took her to a doggy dermatologist. She was on a restricted diet, only had the highest quality food and special antifungal shampoo and conditioner and took a daily antifungal. It was still barely under control. Then she started having seizures from the daily antifungal, so I had to take her off the pills. It was a constant battle. Then I read on Dogster how some folks had tried using anti-dandruff shampoo for people on thier dogs and it had cleared up the yeast infections on the dogs skin. So, a that point I figured what the heck did I have to lose? I'd tried everything else. I bought a people antidandruff shampoo that had aloe vera and conditioner in it and WOW!! Her skin is perfect now, no longer dry and not a single flake or eruption! I don't want to put the brand name here for fear of getting into trouble, but message me if you want the brand name. I wash her every other week and rinse it right off really good with clear warm water, then dry her off really good and she doesn't even scratch anymore! You don't want to know how much money I spent on her dermatologist and meds before I tried this but it was ALOT!!! Good luck!!
[notify]
Jazz

Surf's up, let's- go to the beach!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 1:07pm PST 
Jazz had the same issues...red belly, ear infections, hair loss, black skin. The Dermagic line of products worked wonders. It took time, but it worked. Most of her hair has grown back & it's been almost a year since she's had a yeast infection. Switched to a mix of Natures Variety Instinct raw & kibble. Kibble in the morning, raw at night. Followed advice to switch proteins regularly, since allergic dogs can develop allergy to any food they've been eating for a long period. Good luck, I know what you're going through is frustrating but it's not hopeless.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2