GO!

Any opinions on Royal Canin Anallergenic dog food for a dog with severe allergies

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 6:45pm PST 
The prescription kibbles are more likely to be clean than cheaper brands. The by products are broken down so the body doesn't recognize them as proteins and shouldn't react to them even if the dog is in full allergic crisis. One prescription kibble maker seems to have funded a study showing that normal kibbles often contain other proteins and even none of the protein listed on the list of ingredients! A couple dog food companies were sent letters from FDA even. Perhaps non prescription kibbles and cans are a poor choice for severe allergies if you cannot trust the company to do right.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/dog-food-allergies/

Corn starch is low protein. It is corn gluten meal that is high protein, same as rice protein, pea protein, potato protein, etc. You missed the cellulose, which really doesn't sound like anything a dog should eat! I am not denying that is is far from my first choice of food and likely most dogs will develop new issues such as poor skin/coat and such but it should cut the inflammation so you can make a fresh start. Even if allergies aren't life threatening they are not minor issues. They cost lots of money, they hurt, they make a dog ugly and stinky and drive everyone around the dog nuts. I sure hope it never comes to feeding prescription allergy food but I would feed the stuff if that is what kept my dog comfortable.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 11:21am PST 
I had both of my dogs on Royal Canin Anallergenic for 8 weeks and I was amazed at the negative impacts. One lost 25% of her body weight and the other lost about 20%. Both dogs seemed to become much less energetic and showed other negative impacts which resulted in me taking them to their regular vet. She took them off of the diet immediately, despite it being their dermatologist that prescribed it. They have since begun to regain their weight and seem to be regaining their energy levels. While it did seem that their itching became less while on the diet, I suspect this is a case of the cure being worse than the disease. Don't let your dogs eat this food!
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 4:49pm PST 
One lost 25% of her body weight and the other lost about 20%. Both dogs seemed to become much less energetic and showed other negative impacts which resulted in me taking them to their regular vet.

This can happen on any food, as calories vary. Many "prescription" type diets, are reduced in fat to fulfill a specific issue, this results in an overall calorie reduction.
I also agree with Maxwell, this food is designed for allergies, however you can look for alternatives, once the gut it healed. Give yourself a break, and take the time to do your research if you wish to use a different food. This food will give you that option.
As well, many dogs with this issue (I assumed diagnosed by biopsy) are unable to tolerate proteins that are not broken down into smaller particles, and this can be a lifelong issue depending on how severe the "scarring" is..
[notify]

Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 9:39am PST 
I agree with the previous posts about trying a raw diet. If that is not an ideal solution, defiantly a more quality kibble, with a meat she is not allergic to as the first ingredient. You can really choose any kind of kibble you want just make sure to read the ingredients on the label.

You want an actual named meat as the first ingredient like... Salmon,Buffalo, Chicken... etc. Stay away from any food that has a first ingredient as *corn* or *corn starch* and a *mystery meat*. you will see an improvement.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 10:30am PST 
I would stick with the prescription diet for now, but I am not a fan of Royal Canin. Sabs was a prescription diet for a while and did not do well but every dog is different.
Not sure if you can get it where you are but First Mate is a good limited ingredient, grain free dog food with no recalls on record.
Ingredients:
Potato, Pacific Ocean Fish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat* (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Fish Oil, dicalcium phosphate, choline chloride, calcium propionate (preservative), Yucca schidigera extract, Minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, iodine, cobalt carbonate, selenium yeast), Vitamins (vitamin E supplment, riboflavin, niacin, d–pantothenic acid, thiamine hydrochloride, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), yeast extract (a source of prebiotics) glucosamine hydrochloride

*The chicken fat used in FirstMate pet foods is processed free of protein, eliminating the risk of allergies derived from chicken.*
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 4:06pm PST 
The "hydrolyzed chicken by-product" is chicken feathers. Royal Canin has said so; they're very proud of it and claim it's a wonderful thing to feed our dogs on what would be inedible waste ptoducts from the human food stream.

I would feed it rather than let my dogs starve--but not otherwise.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2