GO!

4 Health has a new grain free dog food.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 5:50pm PST 
What do you think?
Whitefish, Fish Meal, Pea Protein, Dried Peas, Tapioca, Whole Potato, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Manganese Proteinate, L-Carnitine, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 25.0%, Crude Fat (min) 14.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%, Moisture (max) 10.0%, Zinc (min) 200 mg/kg, Selenium (min ) 0.4 mg/kg, Vitamin E (min) 300 IU/kg, *Omega-6 (min) 2.5%,*Omega-3 (min) 0.4%, *Glucosamine (Naturally occurring) (min) 300 mg/kg, *Chondroitin Sulfate (Naturally occurring) (min) 100 mg/kg

Might switch my dogs over since TOTW is so expensive up here. 21.99 for a 15# bag and 36.99 for a 30# bag.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 6:50pm PST 
Looks like a bunch of peas to me. Protein content does not suggest as much meat as you'd think. Also, what is "fish meal"? Generic fish, who knows what species, no thanks.
[notify]
Colt

A cute little- devil.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:34pm PST 
I wish it were a high-protein food rather than one that replaces one carb with another...confused That would be nice. The market is already filled with much, much better grain-free dog foods, so I'll pass. It would just be nice if there were another really good, cheap option...

TotW is much better in my opinion smile

Edited by author Sun Feb 3, '13 6:35pm PST

[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 7:30pm PST 
TOTW is almost 30 for a 15 pound bag where i live. I just can't afford it.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:11am PST 
Do you have Earthborn Holistics where you live? We have a feed store here that carry it. It is $15 cheaper than Blue Wilderness for their biggest size bag and Blue Wilderness is only 24 lbs whereas Earthborn is 28 lbs. I use the Primitive Natural flavor as it is meat heavy and high protein. But, 28lb bag is still close to $50.

I find that it is much cheaper to go with the biggest size bags. Yes, it is a big outlay initially, but it is much cheaper in the long run. Earthborn Holistics has this really cool zip-up bag so the food stays fresh without needing a special food storage container.
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 1:08pm PST 
what about ordering it online like from chewy.com or petflow.com that both offer free shipping. its way cheaper for us to do so this way as our food at the local feed store is almost twice the price of online. Now a days you can find most everything online for alot cheaper. 4-health grain free looks to me like it is mostly pea's not actual meat that your dog needs.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:42pm PST 
It depends on your needs. If you NEED grain-free due to allergies, and you can't afford TOTW, then don't feel bad about feeding this 4Health if it is within your budget.

Yes, it has an unnamed fish meal, and some of the protein comes from peas - but it is certainly better than some of the big brands that spend most of their money on lots of clever marketing and use more dubious ingredients.

On the other hand, if you do not need grain free, you may find that there is a food with slightly higher protein and no unspecified meat meals that is still within your budget. (Grain-free brands tend to be good quality food with higher protein (there are exceptions, however), but potato and peas are still carbs and, in my opinion, probably no better than brown rice or alfalfa for a dog that has no allergies.) Browse through DogFoodAdvisor.com for high-quality foods and then check their prices. For example, there is Whole Earth Farms, Diamond Naturals, Canidae, and others.

And, as some people said, sometimes you can get good deals online. Check with your local vendor to see whether they offer sales or loyalty rewards, too.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 6:54pm PST 
eww... Do you have a Costco near you? They have Nature's Domain which is pretty much TOTW in a different bag. I believe it is about $28 for 35lbs?
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:08pm PST 
Thanks everyone. I don't have to feed grain free for health reasons. I just always have and would like to continue. No Costco probably within 2hrs from us. Guess I'll keep looking. Would like to keep the cost for a 15 pound bag no more than 20 and a 30 pound bag no more than 40. I can stock up on TOTW when I go down state this month but it won't last me forever. Will check into some of the online stores.
[notify]
Lady- (1999-2013)

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 9:52am PST 
4 Health is made by Diamond, just like Taste of the Wild and Costco's Natures Domain. It is basically a little cheaper version of those foods. It seems a LOT of dog foods are using quite a bit of peas these days. I wonder what's next?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3