GO!

High fiber food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Princess- Shadow

Adopted dogs are- the BEST kind!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:15am PST 
Well we are currently having trouble with Clostridium, Shadow is currently on her 3rd bout of medicine with it and the vet has suggested a higher fiber food or giving her Metamucil or all-bran. We got her some of the no sugar Shredded Wheat and it's causing some loose stool again (which is hard to gauge as you know because of the clostridium.) So we are thinking about trying to switch her to a higher in fiber diet.

Currently she eats Taste of the Wild High Prairie but that's a high protein diet. We do want to continue to feed her high quality food but keeping in mind we don't want to have to empty our pockets every time it comes time to get a new bag.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Sincerely Appreciative-
Princess Shadow and fam dog

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 9:20am PST

[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:05am PST 
PureVita (made by NutriSource) is a pretty high fiber food and is a good quality food. You might look into that. You can go on the NutriSource website and ask for samples. You should also be able to find a retailer in your area from the store locator on their website.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:21am PST 
Well i have been doing the same type of research....I can tell you there aren't a whole lot of high fiber diets out there, especially for the price you want to pay for good quality food.

Here are some options: Blue Buffalo (Freedom or Wilderness), Wellness Core Ocean or Reduced fat. Both are more expensive than Taste of the Wild though.

There may be other foods, but they will likely not have the same high quality ingredients you are looking for.

I am trying my dog on blue buffalo freedom. Sometimes Petsmart has sale on Blue Buffalo so i'm going to give it a try.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 6:35am PST

[notify]

Ginger

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:33am PST 
For instance Pure Vita grain free turkey and grain free salmon are both 6% fiber. Not sure how high of a fiber percentage you are looking for, but I still think these are good options, and the store I buy food from speaks pretty highly of Pure Vita. You can also use Fruitables pumpkin to increase fiber.
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:45am PST 
The NOW Senior Weight Management is higher fiber at 5.89DM. The type of fiber is important, ie soluble "wicks" the moisture. If it would dissolve is water, this would be the correct kind, as opposed to tougher outsides of grains etc..
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 2:16pm PST 
If you have a food that you like, why not just add the Metamucil to that food?
[notify]
Fancy

Fancy& Rambo- Chinese Crested- Littermates

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:18pm PST 
I agree with adding fiber to your current food. Benefiber has no taste and dissolves completely, you can put it in your babies water.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:41am PST 
I currently add pumpkin to my merrick before grain (3.5% fiber). I do believe it helps, but I switched to Blue buffalo in hopes that i won't need to add something high in fiber to my dogs diet.

But it is a preference. some dogs love the taste of pumpkin or sweet potato so adding it to their diet is a "treat"
[notify]
Princess- Shadow

Adopted dogs are- the BEST kind!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:43am PST 
I guess I forgot to mention that we were going to add Shredded Wheat no sugar to her diet but at 1/4 of a cup it's giving her mushy stool.

So I was thinking that maybe a higher in fiber food would be easier on her to digest and process. The trouble we are currently having is because of her having such a hard time getting rid of the clostridium which already causes runny stool we aren't sure how we can know when it's the clostridium acting up or the fiber.

But if there is such a small amount of choices for options I guess either the shredded wheat or Metamucil is going to be our only options. Her ToTW says it has 10% fiber in it which I assume is coming from the fruits such as blueberry's it has in it.

Although we have given her pumpkin before, she loves that! I can't believe I forgot about pumpkin!! lol Although that may cause mushy stool too, sometimes her stomach is really sensitive.

She is also having trouble with elevated phosphate which is causing some sort of issue with her liver to top things off so that is another reason we'd like to get more fiber in her diet.

Anything else to add is appreciated.

p.s Billy- I know you mentioned not wanting to "add" anything to your dogs food but pumpkin is natural and healthy and a lot of times your pup will consider that as a treat if you mix it with the food. Plus I bet it will be easier on your wallet. Just a thought.

Thanks guys!-
Princess Shadow and fam dog
[notify]