GO!

How do you store your food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:49am PST 
New dog is targeted for March (dancing), and I'm trying to prepare. I'd like to buy the food I want in the largest bag size as it's more economical that way, but that means I'll need to store it for a couple of months at a time (since I'm getting a toy-sized guy). I live in an apartment with no outdoor storage, so I need to store the food indoors somewhere, and I don't want the place to smell like dog food if at all possible.

So, dogsters, where/how do you store your food? Do you have any tips on airtight/odorproof containers for dog food? Is it better to keep it in the bag, even if I also put it inside some kind of container?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 1:13pm PST 
I've got a 16 cubic foot chest freezer that I stick my bags of food in. I tend to buy stuff on-sale, that is about to expire, or was opened and returned. I also get a lot of trails and stuff to review, so I need a place to stash it for a while and the freezer works out good for that.
If you've got room in your freezer, or even your fridge, you could put some in there and the rest in an air-tight container. (Make sure that whatever is in the freezer/fridge is air-tight too! Don't want moisture to get in and ruin it.) Right now I keep the 40 pound bag in the freezer and dump some of it into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and the bucket goes into the pantry.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:44pm PST 
Rubber maid totessmileThey are your friend. They seal, deter rodents and insects, keep out moisture and are stackable.
[notify]

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 10:36pm PST 
Ah, man, a freezer would be such a good idea. I've just got the little half freezer on top of a refrigerator situation here. Might be able to keep some in there, though...

Sabi, do you find the Rubbermaid totes do a good job of sealing out odor? I'm concerned about the whole room smelling like Orijen. laugh out loud
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:21am PST 
Yes, the food I buy has a definite odor and the totes seem to block it. I also use a small plastic garbage can with a locking lid to hold a weeks worth for feeding.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:55am PST 
If you know anyone who buys those economy sized plastic tubs of Tidy Cat litter they work nicely too. One tub holds 27lbs of food and they're stackable, air-tight and easily washed. We keep kibble in one and cat chow in the other.
[notify]
Orion

Happiest when- running, or- cuddling

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:40pm PST 
Be careful with rubbermaid totes, or any container for that matter. One of the most overlooked causes of food allergies is grain mites. If a bag of dry food is contaminated with grain mites and you use a container to store food in, the grain mites reside in the container and will be spread to each new bag of food that you dump in there. Solution: either wash the container between bags, or store the food in the bag inside the container.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:02pm PST 
Orion makes a good point about keeping the food in the bag when you put it in a container. I've read somewhere that the plastic can leech chemicals into the food as well.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:31pm PST 
I've always just left kibble in the bag it came in and rolled the top of the bag down and held it closed with a clothespin or two. Even smelly 6 fish Orijen can be kept this way without the room reeking like kibble. smile
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:09pm PST 
Be careful with just dumping the food into a plastic container that is unless it is one of the "food safe" containers from a resturant supply, the food safe containers do not leach plastics or chemicals. Also, it is recommended to always store the food in the original bag it came in just in case you have a problem with food or your dog has a health problem that could be associated with the food, also if the food is recalled you have to have the bag with the upc #, lot # and use by date on it.
When I was feeding Orijen I bought a great food safe container with a top on it that you could screw down tight, it is completely air tight, does not leach anything and you would never know there was dog food in it. I would just drop the entire 30# bag into it. Of course I am feeding two Goldens and not a tiny dog so my food would not last long. It did keep the food fresh.
I kept it in my storage closet which is actually my coat closet too so if there was any smell I would have noticed it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3